Boron?

I use Boric acid roach poison . About 50% Boron. Available everywhere. Dissolves readily in water.

My 1.5 cubic yard of wood chips which I was turning to compost which tested at zero was brought up to speed by the addition of two tablespoons evenly spread throughout the pile.

Could have used three tablespoons, but Boron has a fairly narrow range before it becomes toxic so I was conservative. I’ve sprayed with it but I can’t remember the proportions.

I can definitely vouch for Borax as a laundry aid and household cleaner based on my time at home for the past several months. Like Oxyclean but cheaper and better.

Boron is only needed in micro amounts.
It’s deficient in the Puget Sound region.
Maximum amount to apply is only 5 pounds actual Boron/ Acre. Check out the sensitivity of your crop to Boron.
Apples and Walnuts love it
Berries, not as much.
Best fall applied.

1 Like

My TN soil report says apply 1oz of borax for every inch of tree diameter measured 1foot above the ground every 3 years

image|690x400

Per Google…

Boron fertilizers include borax (11 percent boron) and borate granular (14 percent boron). Solubor (20 percent boron liquid) is foliar applied and must be applied at recommended rate for specific crops. Application of 9 pounds borax per acre will supply 1 pound boron per acre.

Worm Castings… boost Boron nicely. Compost alone is good source, but Vermicompost, up a notch.
I put compost on basically everything I grow, including fruit trees, or I compost in place with mulches around the trees, canes, etc…

This was my experience in heavy clay with a thin layer of loam on top.
Boron deficiency / Blossom Blast?
Corrected the issue with boron

Boric acid is also an excellent ant killer! Had a home invasion of super tiny ants that were immune to every ant trap we tried for several months, made some homemade ant bait with this recipe; within about a week of feeding it, ants wiped out! Will now use it to paint the lower trunks of my aphid ridden plum tree this spring as soon as aphid and ants appear.

3 Likes

You mean a university test? That seems like an awful lot of boron. I sometimes add a small amount when doing a general fertilization of orchards, but my research suggested spreading it like fairy dust- but in 30 years of managing many orchards here I’ve never witnessed a deficiency, even in the first year I come to an orchard and haven’t yet fertilized it.

Just be sure you have it right because it’s a lot easier to incorporate than remove!

1 Like

UT ag extension report. Seems reasonable as borax is 1/9 or 11%boron. Other sources said 1/2 oz for new trees up to 3.5 oz for full trees every 3 years. I haven’t done borax ever and put it out there at 2oz per tree. The 65 oz box did the whole 1/2 acre orchard

1 Like

I didn’t realize Borax was that dilute.

Delivered boron via spray in my case they get it faster and it takes less. Pears had blossom blast and i needed fast boron to stop it from progressing. Completely wiped it out but not instantly as they say it just progresses no further. It takes awhile to see full recovery but i felt i was right within 2 hours of spraying. https://agriculture.borax.com/blog/july-2017/need-a-quick-acting-boron-supplement-spray-it!

1 Like

At least one person is talking about weed control here, but for fertilizing, I see a 1 tablespoon on borax per 100 square feet recommendation online, which seems a little more than my uncle’s (a nursery man) recommendation of 2-3 Tablespoons in 2 gallons of water per full size mature tree sprayed under the whole canopy to make sure there are no burn points from a high concentration.

1 Like

In my above posts, I mentioned on a 150 sq.ft. plot .1 pounds or 1.6 oz. of 20 mule Borax. That part is going to be pretty close to raise the average soil about 1 ppm.

Then I mentioned 5 teaspoons = 1.6 ounces. I miss calculated that part. I was was at the orchard at the time, on my phone, and just screwed up the conversion from weight to volume measurement.

From the SDS, 20 Mule Borax has a density of 48 lbs/cubic ft, which equals about .77grams/ml. Water is 1 gram/ml. So Borax is 77% the density of water. Alternatively one would have to add about 30% more Borax by volume to equal the same weight of water. So for 150 sq.ft plot, about 4 tablespoons of 20 mule borax would give about about 1.6 ounces of Borax by weight.

Apologies for anyone who under applied the Borax based upon my calculations. I went back and edited my original post where I erroneously converted weight to volume of 1.6 ounces = 5 teaspoons. I just removed that part. The actual weight of 0.1 lbs or 1.6 ounces of Borax per 150 sq. ft. is correct.

For a 100 sq.ft plot, one could simply take 2/3rds of the above calculation, which would equal 2.68 table spoons, or 2 tablespoons along with 2 teaspoons.

My compost tested Boron-free.

I use ant poison, Boric acid, to bring it up to speed. About 50% Boron.

Even though I start at zero it doesn’t take much to bring it up to speed, as Olpea suggests.

1 Like

@Trav

I would start by reading this thread Boron deficiency / Blossom Blast?. The only ingredient in the laundry detergent is sodium tetraborate https://www.20muleteamlaundry.com/

"Borax is a powdery white substance, also known as sodium borate, sodium tetraborate, or disodium tetraborate. It’s widely used as a household cleaner and a booster for laundry detergent. It’s a combination of boron, sodium, and oxygen.

Borax is often found in dry lake beds in places like California’s Death Valley, where the water evaporated and left behind deposits of minerals.

Boric acid is made from the same chemical compound as borax and even looks like it. But while borax is commonly used in cleaning, boric acid is mainly used as a pesticide. Boric acid kills insects by targeting their stomachs and nervous systems

Both borax and boric acid in loose powder form can be harmful if swallowed, particularly for children. They can also irritate your skin.

Household Uses of Borax

The best-known use for borax is as a cleaner, but you can find the ingredient in many other household products, including:

• Specialty toothpastes and mouthwashes
  • Cosmetics such as lotions, skin creams, moisturizers, sunscreen, and acne care products
  • Paint and ceramic glaze
  • Herbicides

Borax is also an ingredient for making putty-like “slime” for kids.

Medical Research

Scientists have been studying whether the compounds in borax might help your body fight conditions like arthritis or osteoporosis, but more research is needed to know if or how they might work.

Borax health risks

Borax can cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea if you ingest it by itself, and large amounts can lead to shock and kidney failure. It’s banned in U.S. food products. It also can irritate your skin and eyes, and it can hurt your nose, throat, and lungs if you breathe it in. If you’re around it often, it can cause rashes and might affect male reproductive organs.

Warning

Overexposure to borax can cause the following symptoms:

• Headache
  • Weakness
  • Lightheadedness
  • Dizziness
  • Tremors
  • Passing out

How to Use Borax Safely

If you’re going to use borax at home, there are precautions you can take to make sure you do so safely:

• Wear gloves.
  • Use borax in a well-ventilated area.
  • Change your clothes if borax touches it. Remove contaminated clothing.
  • Wash your hands well thoroughly before eating, drinking, putting on makeup, applying cosmetics or using the toilet after using borax.
  • If borax powder gets in your eyes or on your skin. In case of contact, flush your skin and eyes (for at least 15 minutes) with water for at least 15 minutes.
  • Begin rescue breathing in case of accidental inhalation.
  • Get medical help if needed, in case of exposure.
  • Call Poison Control and other emergency services, if needed."

Borax (Sodium Tetraborate): Uses & Health Risks.

If your boric acid is sold as poison, don’t use it! It could be full of contaminates at the very least!

Borax is cheap safe and even used to cure human diseases.

But nobody mentioned its other great use. In the old days we used borax to cure our salmon roe for river fishing. It’s another one of those great old time every day products that’s almost vanished from common usage. I keep both borax and super washing soda in the house for cleaning and other purposes.

1 Like

My comment was about someone using boric acid sold as a poison, while pure boric acid would probably be quite good to use fertilizing, anything sold as a poison could be full of lead, arsenic, cadmium, and all kinds of toxic chemical byproducts which you don’t want in your soil, but to be fair, they’re probably insignificant, but I would definitely not recommend buying it especially when borax is so cheap.

1 Like

@Trav

Definitely want to know what is in it, like you said. I dont disagree with you. Frequently, even fertilizers can cause problems with excessive salts, excessive micro or macro nutrients, unavailable minerals, or imbalanced nutrients. Cations and anions in the soil work with plants in a complex relationship. Bacteria and fungi play a large part in the uptake of nutrients certain plants use. Nitrogen fixing trees, bushes, and legumes pull nitrogen from the air for the plants to use as nutrients. Clay is notorious for being deficient in boron. Clay is highly nutrient dense but those nutrients are locked up.

Why though?

Once we get out of the realm of food grade materials anything is possible. If anything I think that something sold as indoor-use insecticide would be a little more accurate assay than the random industrial chemicals I also put on my plants such as Copper Sulfate or, for that matter Borax.

I find many times industrial grade can be more pure than did grade, chemical grade almost certainly is more pure for controlled reactions, bit check the analysis, it’s usually relatively honest and household and food grade are the most motivated to cheat, no consumer testing.