Boundary Waters (Canada) Wild Blueberries

Does anyone know the type/name of the blueberry that grows wild in the Boundary Waters (Quetico Provincial Park, Canada)? I’ve only been able to find generic information online - common lowbush blueberries (Vaccinium angustifolium). I’ve also included a pic. The best blueberries ever.

1 Like

2 Likes

where is the park located? i live on the ME/ N.B border. i have wild blues everywhere here. i have Bruinswick lowbush i grow under my highbushes here. i think i got them from Hartmanns about 4 yrs ago. they have pea sized almost black blueberry. very tasty! they spread by rhizomes over time to form a colony. i also have several Northsky thats a cross of high and lowbush that only gets to 18in. its very prolific of med sized fruit. very winter hardy.

1 Like

that looks alot like our wild ones here.

I have picked wild blueberries in August in Nestor Falls Ontario while doing a fishing trip for a week by canoe. Every Island we camped on was full of them. Made lots of blueberry pancakes each morning.

I have also picked them in northern Wisconsin in July while staying on a lake near Manitowish waters. The roadsides were covered with them and lots to pick.

In central Wisconsin we have them too where lots of my family live but the dry sandy soil there often means the berries are very dry and never seem sweet.

I believe all these are plain species wild lowbush blueberry similar to what is also so common in Maine.

1 Like

Based on the location I’d say Canadian blueberry, vacciunium myrtilloides. I’ve been looking for seeds :slight_smile:

1 Like

ours grow in the duft around spruce trees so theyre always super sweet just need to find the bigger ones. the Bruinswick lowbush i grow have similar flavor but a bigger berry but are still much smaller than highbush varieties.

1 Like