Bourjasotte, Grise, how it compares……

Picked a couple more B/G,s this morning and compared it to Smith, have to say, very close, Smith just a little sweeter, taste wise, very close. On a blind test? Hard to tell.

9 Likes

So that makes sense as to why they are two of my most favorite figs.

2 Likes

I’m glad it’s fruiting for you this year. How did it handle rain and humidity? Also how’s your Moscatel Preto doing?

Muscatel Preto turn into a giant tree, 8 feet with multiple trunks, by pass fruiting, half a dozen only. They just taste fine, great . No problem with rain.
Might still have a couple ripening in a week. Branches been tipped a few months ago.

4 Likes

Try pruning for a single central leader (i.e., remove the other trunks). Then keep only 3-4 scaffolds. With less clutter, Moscatel Preto will develop a thick truck and strong branches with ample large fruits.

1 Like

It’s just a matter of choice, I am doing great the way I grow things. No change.

1 Like

Ah, ok. I thought you might regard “by-pass fruiting” as a problem.

Over abundance on fruit is not of importance. Excellent tasting is big with me, that’s why I try to grow top 5 to 10 type of fruit tree’s, I am there already.

It will fruit better next year. Mine sets a fruit at each leaf node. You take good care of your trees so all they want to do is grow.