Bread bags with holes

Mamuang! Can you please tell us where you buy your long bread bags with holes that you put over an entire long branch (almost)… Do you seal them with twist ties? You put them over your fruit after you’ve sprayed the fruit with surround. So it is double protection. Do the fruit ever get moldy or rot? thanks, Mrs. G

Mrs. G.,
They are perforated bread bags. I’ll find out the name of the company we ordered them from. They have many sizes and length. I used the long bags, cut them open and stapled them together to make long tubes so I could cover whole branches.

I stapled them together. Could not use twist ties. You want bags to hang loosely on a branch. Any area that touches fruit, will be damaged by OMF or PC. It is not bullet proof by any means.

It is best to spray fruit with Surround and fungicide before you bag.
I still spray Surround after bagging because bagging is not fully effective. With bagging, fruit will be cleaner (2nd, 3rd, 4th rounds of Surround spray cover the bags, not the fruit).

It is more work that may or may not be worth your time.

3 Likes

Thanks ! I would only bag certain trees. :kissing_heart:

1 Like

For what its worth, I found this source the last time I was looking at using perforated bags for protection: Micro - Perforated Cello Bags | Bread Bags | Perforated Bags

EDIT: this link is better: Micro - Perforated Cello Bags | Bread Bags | Perforated Bags

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

That mobile page was kind of a mess, so I would use this one instead if you want to see the actual website: Micro - Perforated Cello Bags | Bread Bags | Perforated Bags

1 Like

Mrs.G.,
My hubby said he bought them from Cellobags, too.

2 Likes

Thanks.

1 Like

Thank you all for your help! I just ordered two sizes of perforated bags. The longest they had and the next size down. My trees are fairly large at this point. Might as well give it a try. Got really tired of cutting baggies!

2 Likes

You also need a good short stapler. The regular long one can be cumbersome when you put a bag on a branch and try to staple it shut. A short stapler is easier to move it around tight corner. The size of staples can be regular size. It’s the stapler that should be a short one.

2 Likes

I have an excellent hand stapler!

1 Like

These look like they might be a great way to protect elderberries from birds when they’re ripening. I wonder if you could put the whole “head” of berries in a bag and tie it off. This is my second year for my elderberries so I’m hoping to get some production, but have heard that they birds are merciless on them. If these work to protect them it would be a lot easier than trying to net the whole plants.

1 Like

I have my doubt. These bags are thin. Vthin enough for Plum Curculios to lay eggs through the bags. I think it won’t protect against birds’ beaks.

Another type of bags, nylon bags may work. They are thicker nylon, not thin plastic like bread bags.

1 Like

I was thinking to mostly confuse or deter them from trying. Of course once they get a taste, I’m sure they’d tear through but if they can’t easily try it without going through the bag, maybe…

I find a similar thing with deer. If I get a spray if raw egg mixed into water on things early enough, the deer sniff the new growth and leave it alone. If I don’t get it on before they show up, they get a taste and remember it tastes good no matter how much I spray on.

1 Like