Breeding cold hardy and frost resistant pomegranates

Most pomegranates aren’t adapted to my climate and aren’t cold hardy enough to survive here in zone 7b. They also bud out before the last frost and are severely susceptible to late freezes and frost damage which can kill back the plant that otherwise would have survived the winter.

I hope to select for cold hardiness, excellent flavor, high vigor, productiveness, late budding out, and disease and pest resistance.

I feel that maybe by selecting cold hardy pomegranates in my zone 7b and creating a lot of new varieties, that I can be of help to those trying to breed and grow them in zone 7a, zone 6 and maybe even beyond!, that they can use these higher cold hardy pomegranate seedlings to breed even higher cold tolerant pomegranates in their zones. It may be a dream, but I think it’s worth a shot!

The seeds I’m planting were from a delicious local pomegranate that was growing just a few miles from me. It was 10 times better than any one I’ve had from the store (no unpleasant bitterness or off flavor), so I saved every single seed from it, and had to have planted about 100 or more.

I’m super excited that it was so delicious, productive, and extremely cold hardy in my area, with what appeared to be zero cold damage from the winter and late cold weather, it produced at least 20 fruits (probably more) which I felt was a lot for being only about 8 feet tall and probably three years old.

They said they got it from a nursery but couldn’t remember the name of the variety. I meant to take a picture of it and thought I had, but I couldn’t find any. It was kind of a bland greyish peach colored on the outside with black dots (maybe some slight exterior fungus, but it didn’t affect the inside) if my memory serves me correctly. The arils (seeds) were a deep reddish pink and very attractive and delicious looking. The flavor was extremely delicious with sweet and flavorful being the main things that come to mind, but it also had a pleasant and well balanced slight tanginess to it.

Hoping that the seedlings turn out well!

14 Likes

The seedlings started sprouting on April 16th.

9 Likes

By May 1st some had the first true leaves starting to grow.

5 Likes

As of May 22nd, the tallest ones are about 3 inches tall, and they are starting to grow pretty fast with the arrival of hotter weather.

11 Likes

Many cold hardy varieties of everything were started like that. They just planted tons of seeds and waited to see who survived. Then picked the best tasting of the survivors.

I’m in a colder zone than you and have a few that are surviving just fine. The problem many people have is fruit rot. Especially on east coast conditions.

5 Likes

Yeah I plan to breed for rot resistance also. The fruit I saved seeds from seemed resistant, so there should be a good chance that the seedlings will be too.

1 Like

Seedlings from just one fruit aren’t going to give you the genetic variations you need…or so I would think. Bringing some from diverse sources and from cooler zones should help in your experimenting.

3 Likes

I’d second this. At least two or three relatively unrelated hardy cultivars, if not more. For my similar cold hardy avocado project I’m currently up to 20 cultivars on multi-graft trees, and will probably end up adding a few more, so that I can cross them every which way and if different cultivars are hardy due to different genes, maybe when combined they can be hardier than any one cultivar’s offspring could ever be.

Here in zone 8 in the PNW our problem with poms is mostly lack of summer heat, or so I’m told. They survive the winter fine but the fruit rarely ripen fully. You probably don’t have that problem as much!

5 Likes

If anyone is interested I have a collection of cold hardy pomegranates available for sale and shipping now. I am phasing them out (they just don;t work in KY) and so when they are sold out, they will be gone. So if you want to try some, you might want to check it out. https://peacefulheritage.com/product-category/pomegranates-cold-hardy/

Salavatski has done the best at surviving in a non-heated high tunnel in zone 6b KY. I am keeping that one.

5 Likes

Interesting, I have seen people say based upon personal experience that ‘Kaj-acik-anor’ is even more cold resistant than ‘Salavatski’.

2 Likes

@scottfsmith How is your pomegranate trial going? Find a winner? I threw in the towel a few years ago but am now reading that Salavatski might survive here in 7B.

It depends on how long the cold stays, and how bad the late frosts are, and the location of planting.

So far only the first batch of pomegranate cultivators have been left outside, just for one winter, and no winter/spring damage, although keep in mind that that they are being kept right next to tall brick buildings, on the south sides of the buildings, also there this year was mild compared to what it could get down to there, in NYC.

I’m on a pretty good streak now as far as survival, I think it has been five or so years since the last dieback to the ground (half of my Surh-Anor died this last winter and nothing else died back at all). I did some thinning this spring to try to get more light in and less diseases. Hopefully I will finally get some fruit this year. Last year I had half a dozen fruits but all rotted but one. That one was yummy! If I ever get a lot to set I will start spraying some disease control stuff.

Anyway I was about to give up but gave them a stay of execution and have decided to keep them until the next dieback at least. If they fruit well before then I will keep them.

1 Like

Do you have Salavatski?

Yes, it gave me my one fruit last year. It didn’t have as many fruit total as Kaj acik anor but all of those rotted.

2 Likes

I think that the pomegranate I planted from was most likely Salavatski based on my memory of how it looked and photos I’ve seen of Salavatski. Also I have Salavatski planted (it hasn’t fruited yet though), and it has done the best in terms of a combination of cold hardiness and late frost survival.

I have other cold hardy varieties planted, so these seedlings will be able to cross with them as well if the other varieties survive to fruit. The ones that have survived so far for me are Suhr Anor, Kaj Acik Anor, Ranni, Kazake, Kaim Anor, and Al Sirin Nar.

Those have all survived as far as cold hardiness goes, but they seem to not be as late to bloom as Salavatski. So hopefully by having some self pollinated Salavatski seedlings, they will have the highest resistance to late cold damage, and then can be crossed with the other varieties to introduce some more genetic diversity.

3 Likes

High humidity is hard on pomegranates. Remember, these are arid climate natives. In our high tunnel they get leaf mildew pretty bad if the ventilation is poor. Fruit can crack under too much moisture. So those are factors to consider in selection as well.

2 Likes

I’ve observed ‘wild’ ones in Florida. Seemed happy, but sparse on fruits.

1 Like

In zone 6B or 7A, my poms make it through winter except wonderful which dies to ground even if protected. However, they don’t seem to want to bloom until about August. Only one year did they bloom early and ripen fruit. They were delicious but sparse.

On a brighter note, my pistachios have a few nuts this year. I don’t know how because the male shows no evidence of having shedded pollen. They may all be pops, but it’s a start.

3 Likes

Georgia had a horrible late freeze about March 12th or so and the pomegranates had all budded out. POW killed everything way back or all the way to the ground. My money is on any breeding being done for LATER spring leaf out. PLEASE

2 Likes