Bristol vs Jewel black raspberry growth

Does Jewel sucker and spread like other raspberries?

In over 25 years, I have never had a Jewel black-cap protocane come up more than a few inches from the original clump, unlike red raspberries. Jewel does tip-root readily in autumn.

2 Likes

thank you, I got a couple of plants grown in plugs and was hesitant to put them in the ground. The canes from Jewel do they grow straight that way I can plant it near a fence and train them to the fence post.

Jewel has fruiting spurs up to 18" long, reachable if a whole-hand will penetrate the fence. Perhaps you have access to both sides of the fence. If not, I would recommend maintaining single-cane growth and not encourage laterals.

1 Like

I’ve said this before, probably on this thread, but Bristol actually persists a lot longer for me than Jewel. Jewel “runts out” on me after maybe two good fruiting seasons. Bristol is still going in year five.

Although Bristol is more susceptible to anthracnose, I read once online that it’s less susceptible to a lot of the viruses that affect black raspberries than Jewel, and that seems to be what’s going on in my garden.