BroGanza Bags

What to do with leftover pieces of screen. These are easy and quick to make but will they get the job done? Screen blocks some of the sunlight and I wanted to see if I could harvest a few PAF blackberries from my primacanes. The sun simply bakes them on the vine. We shall see. I thought you would get a chuckle out of the bag name.

8 Likes

clever…you might want to consider trademarking that name…

be curious to see how they work out for you.

1 Like

Pollination?

1 Like

Good question/concern. There is one or two flowers open so pollination could be an issue. I could wait a little longer to put the bag in place. Thanks

1 Like

If you use metal screen, it might actually cook them. Metal heats up in the sun. Plastic mesh might work.

2 Likes

These are plastic or fiberglass but definitely not metal.

1 Like

The entertainment never stops

5 Likes

Broganza bag 105 looks like a mini dress. I hope you have it in my size!!!

2 Likes

Bill,
May I ask where do you get the material, please? Is this a window screen material?

2 Likes

The material is some left over screening that I used a few years ago on my screen porch. These were large rolls that was about 8 feet by 20 feet.

1 Like

BroGanza bag 106 for larger pears and apples

3 Likes

BroGanza Jumbo for when you didn’t thin as you should have

7 Likes

BroGanza bag update on PAF blackberry. @mrsg47 I think you were correct about the pollination. I should have waited a little longer to put the bags on. I have a few more that is getting near bloom time so I can test waiting longer to bag.

2 Likes

The good and bad. The cluster had a few berries less that perfect (lack of pollination I think) but most were big and sweet for a blackberry. Without pest I was able to let them stay on the cane longer.

4 Likes

Sure wish I could figure out how to best manage the Prime Ark Freedom but I am happy to be eating a few of the berries this late in the season. The bags do appear to have eliminated sun issues and SWD damage.

6 Likes