Brown, leathery spot on small nectarines

This is my first fruit on an a potted nectarine seedling I started about 2.5 years ago. I’ve never seen spots like this on nectarines before. Any idea what it is?

I was little suspicious of the dead twig next to it, but it looks like a typical dry twig after removing it for closer inspection. I wasn’t expecting fungal diseases this early in the fruit development. The fruits are still small, dry and hard. They’re probably a month or two away from maturing. The only fungal I’ve used on it so far is Immunox. I’ve been applying Miracle-Gro to this tree once a week, so I don’t think it is nutrient deficiency.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s a disease. It looks more like a physical injury that occurred some time ago. If it’s the only fruit like that then an injury is more likely. If many fruits are that way then it could be disease.

1 Like

Never seen that on mine…

2 Likes

I have similar marks on my peaches from racoons and squirrels🐿.

2 Likes

My nectarines will get almost russeting on the tips of the fruit. Not sure what its from…some varieties are really bad and others don’t have any.

2 Likes

Yes,something was probably chewing there and then the wound healed over.Earwigs did similar damage to some of my fruit,which is why they get bagged now. Brady

1 Like

I have seen chew marks from rodents before, but they healed over to light tan colored scars. The dark brown is what threw me off.

This nectarine tree is from seed, so there could be genetic issues. It may end up being a turd.

1 Like

That’s probably from thrips damage.

1 Like

I found the spot on another fruit. It fell off when I touched it. It looks like late fruit abortion. The other potted trees get the same treatment and have no issues. Maybe this tree wasn’t ready to produce yet. This tree is bigger and more vegetative than the others. Other than cut off ferts, I’m not sure there is any thing I can do about that. I guess I’ll have to wait another year to evaluate this seedling.

1 Like