Bubbleberry strawberry

Bubblegum and Sastaberry are cultivars developed by berryworld out of the netherlands.
BerryWorld | Welcome to our BerryWorld

Thanks lordkiwi.

How do you know this? I looked around on the website you linked. But could only find marketing stories and recipes. I could not find anything about breeding or their own cultivars.

If also looked in the Dutch variety register. And could not find breeders rights or a registration for either strawberry.

This makes me assume they are marketing a known (historical) variety. Probably a mochata as bubblegum. But i could be wrong.

I think berryWorld is more a marketing company?

There Netherlands pages mentions there breeding program. I think they are like Driscole in that we never truly know the ID of most of there cultivars.

The Netherlands - BerryWorld Group

i could not find breeding info on that page.

looking here

i read they use Edward Vinson for their breeding work.
His license page and cultivars page does not list any strawberry that looks like the Bubbleberry.

I stand by my original statement. I’m quite sure Bubbleberry is just a rebranded Fragaria moschata Bazooka a bublegum tasting selection of Fragaria moschata Capron Framboise.

I must say though. Edward Vinson made evie 2. And i quite like that strawberry

I agree. I’ve heard the name being used alongside musk strawberry. Similar to how haskaps are called honeyberries. Sells better I guess. I have one in the flowerbed but it’s just about to flower. Supposed to be very good tasting.

Is there a nursery selling these “bubbleberry” strawberries?

I haven’t seen that exact variety for sale except occasionally at Big Box Store. You would have to search for musk strawberry. Raintree sells some and so does @JohannsGarden.

You can also try some from seed-

1 Like

As a follow up on this- those strawberries actually turned out to be incredible- and the kids who try them can’t stop eating them and say it’s their favorite berry (probably because it tastes like a piece of candy). It seems like they only produce one crop, but they can stay on the plant for a long time and don’t easily rot / mold like regular strawberries do. The berries aren’t large and the plants get huge so that would be a downside.

My wife doesn’t care for them so she would probably agree with your assessment.

4 Likes

Lol, that if funny, but true .:wink:

Thanks, @Moose . It’s too bad that I didn’t know that @JohannsGarden sells these, I placed an order this spring and am very happy with the sea kale that was sent.

Side note is I had a pack of the pineberries and a pack of the bubble berries I got from the Big Box Store around 2018. Most died except about 1 of each, both great tasting and unique.

Then landlord cut down a tree and put the wood chips over the soil.

Now I got pineberries covering the place, almost like a weed, hundreds of plants, and more berries than I can pick and eat. The wild bunnies really love them!

Somewhere in the mat of pineberries is ONE bubble berry. It did not die. But it didn’t have a lot of runners like that.

I think it tasted like gum, in a good way, very sweet, and recommend people to buy and try them. It should not matter if it is marketing or if it is an old variety, only that if you can find it you should get it.

3 Likes