Bubbles on plum

Anyone have an idea what this is and i guess the best thing to do is remove this bubbled fruit before a pest hatches?

Stinkbug I’d expect.

1 Like

That looks like a Spittlebug house.They are plant suckers.

6 Likes

Yes, check for a spittlebug inside those bubbles. Squash bug, no need to remove fruit.

2 Likes

Gee Brady you really amaze me at your insect knowledge! How did you learn so much? I have seen a few of these, but never thought about it much
Dennis
Kent, wa

1 Like

My major in college was environmental horticulture,which included some insect and pest identification.Realizing now though,what a limited database I had,because of no internet at that time,gives me an appreciation for technology.

3 Likes

Well it surely shows! Appreciate your insights
Dennis

1 Like

Stinkbug and shieldbug nymphs do not produce spittle. Some of the hopping insect nymphs do.

The actual spittle-nymph is very small compared to the spittle mass and is easily lost when poking around. A good drench or spray of water will reveal or dislodge the nymph, and it will be unable to regain its position in the tree once it is on the ground.

1 Like

Ya I’m getting old and my memory isn’t what it used to be. I forgot we used to call them spittlebugs as kids and confused them with stink bugs. My bad.

1 Like