Bud to Fruit ripen ratio for my muscadines

Thought I would share a comparison from start to ripe. Some of the pictures are poor quality. Any comments or opinions are welcome.

Southern Home vine 001

Southern Home vine 002

Lane

Black Beauty

Supreme

2 Likes

Just curious, but what kind of fruits are those? I’m not familiar with any of those varieties.

Edit: never mind, they are muscadines.

1 Like

I consider all of these to be muscadines although the Southern Home has a complex background including a small amount of grape. It also has a larger fruit cluster and split leafs.

1 Like

I’m curious to see if the more mature vines with a larger root and leaf area can hold and ripen more fruit. This is a small sample simply because I didn’t want to keep up with amount.

1 Like

When I first started growing muscadines I mistakenly thought these were the grapes instead of buds for the flowers that will soon develope.

It seems that there are not so many fellows who grow muscadines. I had one self-fertile muscadine for four years. It tastes good, but small and lots of seeds. This year I will try to graft some varieties with big fruits. My friend sent me some greenwoods of muscadines on the way. I will graft them after I receive the scionwoods.

1 Like

Wow, I thought someone has been eating the buds! Many of the pics are showing Eat instead of Est. :grin:

2 Likes

Spell check . Didn’t catch the mistake. Thanks

1 Like

Good luck. I understand that they are difficult to graft.

Grape grafting is challenging mostly because of the flush in the spring. It’s hard to find the right time to graft. Greenwood grafting is easier. But the difficulty is how to get fresh Greenwood scions.

1 Like

This is interesting. I would love to know the details (dates, stage of green wood etc). Bill

I would love to record, but I will be out of country for two months.
I will also graft some varieties of Muscat on my muscadine and sunbelt grape.

1 Like

Muscadine grafting on the third day.

1 Like

Before taking picture

1 Like