Budding and budwood

Excellent, thanks! And re: the removing of wood from the bud…this pro does. The little gap in time between each budding is him getting a new bud from the stick in his hand, but earlier it shows the wood removal technique. 350/hour…oooeee…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB37kuwHDH0

1 Like

Thanks. I just found it after I saw this post.:slight_smile:

He inserts the bud so fast I can’t see it!

LOL… It would be a good place for 1080p 120fps…so you could slow it way down…

The K1 I got from Raintree had a large root system. I really like K1 so far. What do you think about it?

Mine did fine. They all put on decent growth, although they were slow initially to get moving. I budded them over to multiple different stonefruit. I also have a few k86 that grew nicely (that i got from cutting back the scion)… i should have a lot more to say after this summer – they should really push growth.

I’m just guessing by looking at them, but 6 feet of growth on a few branches (very skinny/lanky growth===almost like a vine).

I would cut that new growth back so you have a stronger tree. What do you mean by [quote=“warmwxrules, post:46, topic:6166”]
also have a few k86 that grew nicely (that i got from cutting back the scion)…
[/quote]

I didn’t bud graft my K1. I did whip grafts. They grew about four foot with four to six branches a couple foot long too. That was a peach. I used it on plums and they grew whips about three foot tall. I’m thinking of saving the top cutting of the rootstock and cutting it into sections for rooting. Some plums will root. I wonder if K1 will. I’m thinking bary them horizontally about an inch down. Stephen Hayes has a video where he says this is how you plant rootstocks, and he takes a stem of apple rootstock and pushes it 2/3 roughly into the ground. Then he says something like that’s all you have to do it’s that easy.

What rootstock did Mr. Hayes do this with? Some of course root better than others by cuttings.

The video I watched he didn’t even say what it was. He just said this is how you plant rootstocks. I took it for granted that it was an apple because he seems to always be working with apples. It might not of been even an apple rootstock. It was a stem about a foot long and just pushed it into the ground about 2/3 of the way.The video was about how to get rootstock. It was mainly about an old tree he had cut down and sprouts popping out of the ground. Then he digs them up and counts how many good ones and some maybes. I’ll try and find it.

All right looking at my history on youtube I thought I found the video but he didn’t show the segment. I don’t know if there is another video or not. I was googling and watching videos when I found it. I’m not sure if you tube history would show it if I watched it from the web. Let’s not say it’s so till I find what video I watched. I’m a bit bewildered myself that it wasn’t in the video i thought it was. I might have dreamed it? Lol

I think you are mixing up two videos from two different users. I have watched the same two videos. Here is the Stephen Hayes video and will see if I can find the other one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM-q_P9zet8

I thought this was the one I watched, but I don’t know what I watched now.

I might have gone to bed and dreamed about roots? lol

1 Like

I looked and also couldn’t find the other one where the maker of the video(not Stephen Hayes) was just pushing hardwood cuttings into the ground and saying" it is that easy". However I can say with authority you are not going to have much if any success trying to root apple hardwood cutting that way. Yes there are some apple trees(and rootstocks) that you can root cuttings from but you need the right tree and even then if you do get roots to grow it is another thing to keep it growing. Now I have had success with using root cuttings from apple trees and having them send up shoots and grow.

1 Like

I had a couple of trees that came on k86 and i just wanted the rootstock…so i chopped them back and the rootstock sent out shoots which i budded.

I’ll be pruning all my trees and these will get whacked back to the new buds i grafted. I did peaches, plums, pluots, whatever i could find…who knows what will take.

2 Likes

I put a pluot on K1 too Dapple Dandy. That one didn’t take though. I am sure it probably can but just not that time. I did also put it on a wild peach tree or volunteer peach tree that it did take in three spots.

Here is the video. Your right it’s not Stephen Hayes. It sounds like him though.

https://youtu.be/8whkZ-aBDS8

1 Like

I was hoping K1 would root from cuttings like some plums do. I’ll still try and plant some for rootstock and do it the traditional way too. I ordered eight more so now I’ll have 13 K1 stocks.