Budding Photos

Anything flagged in yellow is this year’s plantings propagated, 2020. Anything without yellow flag tape were 2018 bench propagations that were planted mid-summer that same year.

Enjoy!

H-118 Persimmon

Betria pawpaw

Chuchupaka persimmon

Clara Frijs pear

D-128 persimmon

DEC Moneymaker persimmon

Deer Magnet persimmon

F1 100-45 (female) persimmon open-pollinated Jerry Lehman Orchard

(3) Florea figs

Gatria pawpaw

H-63A persimmon

Harrow Sweet pear

Henry shellbark hickory

Hosui pear

I-115 persimmon

JT-02 persimmon

JT-02 persimmon

Potamac pear

Reddy Robin papple

Regulus pawpaw

Seuri pear

Tiben black currant

White Imperial currant

More new trees and shrubs as I continue… to plant or existing. Got lots of peaches for the raccoons I’m certain of…

18 Likes

Wow. Just wow.

Thanks, Richard.

Dax, how come you like tall trees? I don’t even like to climb ladders anymore.

1 Like

I like to graft above deer browse but am usually broke as joke so bench graft and grow to 5-6 ft. and then branch.

What I want to do is establish the smell of rootstock vs. smell of cultivar but I’m not doing a very good job at it…

Get them to leave the rootstock alone and wander and go eat my evergreens or something else… anyways.

You need to invest in a tall fence.

I love this stuff:

4x4 PT corner posts with steel T posts hammered in-between. You could do it in sections with the plan on expanding the protected zone as time, money, and energy permits.

1 Like

61YdTvuHpwL.AC_SX466

I agree!

What an awesome picture. He looks so sad .

1 Like

Dax, did you ever took an inventory of all your trees? Amazing.

1 Like

Yea, I have a lot of things here. (66) alone are one half ‘Hetz Wintergreen’ Arborvitae and ‘Green Giant’. Those are both becoming monsters during year-15 (now). The Green Giant’s all touch at 12’ to 14’ apart and the Hetz all tough at 8’.

There’s a lot of grafted ornamentals here.

1 Like

With a running start, deer can scale 10’-12’ fence.

1 Like

Nice collection. What’s a Chuchupaka persimmon?

1 Like

@Richard “with a running start…”
that would be beautiful to witness. thanks for the imagiry.

@parkwaydrive Chuchupaka is a hardy-hybrid. I don’t know how hardy yet, however but it’s ‘sort of reported’ at -22 F. A lot of the time those #'s are a bit high as to how much cold a given cultivar is actually hardy to. So far Chuchupaka has seen -9 F twice here & two different years (2020-2021 winter) & (2021-2022).

What is desired are hardy persimmons for zone 5. JT-02 is one of the zone 5 hybrid, hardy, persimmon.

2 Likes

Sad for you. This buck could jump this fence (~4’?) without breaking a sweat.

1 Like

Maybe he’s standing on a car, but, fun to see the loss of knowing a fence may stop a deer like they all look like from entering “paradise” to the both of us…

Caspian pawpaw

F1 Deer Magnet Jerry Lehman orchard 6-10-2022 (most vigorous seedling grown)

It deserved a spot alone for its vigor whether I graft it over or save it as a male for its’ supreme vigor…

2 Likes

When living in NW California I noticed the individual tree fencing strategy worked very well. There’s no place for the deer to jump into. Though I did have to rescue a redtail hawk who got stuck inside on one occasion. :slightly_smiling_face:

But for vegetable gardens an 8’ high fence was not enough. I swear those mule deer have built-in hydraulic pogo sticks for legs! From about 50’ away they would take a few practice vertical bounds and then clear the fence no problem.

1 Like

Thanks! :slightly_smiling_face:

Chances are a double fence would do it, a tall one and a small one to obstruct the landing zone. I know of an orchard with a rather short fence on one side. When I asked he pointed to the boulders on the inside side of the fence; moose could easily jump the fence but they didn’t because there was no good landing spot on the other side.

A landing side fence doesn’t need to be that robust either, only visually there. It could also be a row of bushes, or just about anything a deer world not want to risk breaking a leg on.

2 Likes