Buds Flowers and Fruit - 2023 Edition

Hi @Ahmad, my last spray was a mixture of neem oil and copper just before the flower buds opened, so I don’t think it should be spray damage related? I haven’t started a more rigorous spray schedule yet because the trees haven’t been around long enough for me to know what they might need and when.

2 Likes

I found these pretty orchids(?) in the woods today while going on a hike with my friend. Maybe it’s Cypripedium acaule.

17 Likes

Ladies Slipper

4 Likes

Incredible find! I used to search the woods as a kid looking for that plant…only ever found false hellebores, which looks very similar when young.

1 Like

Prime-Ark Freedom blackberry:

Mason bee:

8 Likes

That’s the largest Ladies Slipper I’ve ever seen.

1 Like

I have had leaf and fruit damage when spraying with neem other than on dormant trees. For me pears seemed particularly sensitive. I pretty much defoliated a moonglow for a large part of the growing season.

1 Like

Honey Berries!

10 Likes

Wow I planted mine last year and they are like 1/10 as large as yours and no fruit yet. How long does it take to get to this size and get fruits?

These are third year in ground and one year in pot bought tiny plants few months old. These produce few fruits last year but this will be first year producing well.

1 Like

Got it-thanks! I planted mine last year in ground. They were extremely small plants I got from jungseed. They also looked dead all summer but leafed out well this spring. Maybe I’ll get fruit next year as that matches up with your timeline.

1 Like

Our peaches are complete toast this year. First time in 10 years so we’re still batting .900 in Maine…not bad unless we have string of these.

2 Likes

What did them in?

The clematis are still blooming…

14 Likes

Absolutely beautiful. I think the second picture is particularly artistic. The variety of colors is so lovely.

Thank you. We got lucky with those combinations. Different varieties bloom at different time and have different climbing behaviors so it’s hard to predict their timing and spread when they’re newly planted.

1 Like

Flavor King Pluot : I thought we lost all pluots due to frost but luckily one branch survived .

15 Likes

I took this picture of the mustard field on the way to Normandy, it’s very green here, not as dry as California.

14 Likes

My best guess is the polar vortex that came through this winter.

Thin them now…

1 Like