Buds Flowers and Fruit - 2023 Edition

Elaeagnus Latifolia (Soh-Sang)

9 Likes

Damn that’s a big Elaeagnus!

3 Likes

Yes it’s elaeagnus latifolia… i liked it! A bit adstringent, a bit sweet and meaty…

1 Like

@nosummer, that was exactly my same reaction seeing how large the fruit is! The elaeagnus fruit that I find in the wild are only roughly 3/8" long and 1/4" wide.

1 Like

Yes but this is an asian elaeagnus variety… from tropical asian countries.

1 Like

Pawpaw flowers

Winter red flesh apple

6 Likes

Great photos. We live in the area as well. Our azaleas appeared to be making a comeback from the December 2022 freeze. Then the frost got the buds this past weekend. I may have saved a bunch of our blueberries by covering with agribon sheets. We’ll see. Haven’t been out to look at the peaches and apples.

1 Like

Luis,
Do your Pawpaw flowers get hand pollinated or by insects?

1 Like

Hi! Just by insects… flies and ants.

@Luisport I thought the speckled coloring looked like a giant Autumn Olive berry (Elaeagnus umbellata) which makes sense now. (Sadly, I hate the autumn olive because they are trying to take over my whole property, but actually they’re not too ugly and they do produce some tiny versions of that berry you have which are very very astringent until they are completely ripe. And also quite seedy)

Also, I love your pawpaw flower picture! I am just learning about pawpaw after having a patch of them in my yard - I didn’t notice the flowers last year and they are so pretty!

Is it unusual to have pawpaw in Portugal? Did you get the tree? did you have pawpaw before you got the tree?

1 Like

Hi. Thanks. Yes it’s unusual to have pawpaws here but my sunflower var trees are big enough to get fruits for some years. You can see pics on my thread.

I saw off a big branch last year so this Bleinheim apricot tree doesn’t shade the rest of the area. It still has lots of fruitlet. I don’t think I get to eat any this year. Donut peach has nice flowers next to it on the left, but I only had one fruit so far.

5 Likes

6 Likes

Golden Celebration

Scabosia, it’s a sunny day here and bees are out

5 Likes

I love orange and grapefruit flowers, much more so then eating the fruit, so I will get a beach chair and sit in this corner to enjoy the fragrance

7 Likes

the jujubes are already flowering, I heeled them up in the hoophouse cold corner thinking I could get them in ground next week but I guess they’ll get potted until after frost now

4 Likes

Tree peony Irene Sendler photo series

French Lace

Morning

Afternoon

British Gamble daffodil

Close up

Vick’s Caprice

Mrs B.R. Cant

9 Likes

European Plum:

Lilac:

Quince:

8 Likes

If it has red foliage, it could be a Nemaguard peach, used as rootstock usually. Maybe whatever variety grafted died, and it grew back from it’s roots. Or it could be a fluke from the nursery and the rootstock didn’t get grafted.

5 Likes