Buds Flowers and Fruit - 2023 Edition

Redlands 4 jujube

Li jujube

7 Likes

I redid this flower bed when I got back, removed a palm tree, now the roses look like they are very happy, Spring like almost. Organic compost mulch from my local nursery does help.

Scentuous

Tomatoes from my compost, they are bigger than the ones I purchased fro my local nursery, next year I just plant whatever comes up from my compost.

Corn bed, I have about 16 ears out of 11 plants

La Reine, 3x1 hole

L. D. Braithwaite next to 3x1 fig container, I’m trying to determine which variety to keep.

I think this is poblano, I don’t know what to do with it, so maybe to let it ripe

6 Likes

Currently visiting family in the Thousand Islands (St. Lawrence headwaters), and I’m seeing lots of these hickory (I think?) trees. Does anyone know the species?

Some seem to have pretty large nuts, but I’ve no idea what percentage of that space is meat vs husk & shell, or whether they’d be any good once they ripen. I love how the bark forms those long sheets, though.

4 Likes

@swincher … that looks like a shagbark to me.

Nice one.

I have several nice ones that i harvest from. Ususlly early to mid September here they ripen and start dropping.

That is one of the shags that i harvest from and what the nuts and nut meat looks like. Delicious… similar to pecan but its own special flavor.

Ps there is an art to getting those nut meats out. They dont come easy.

10 Likes

Orchid

8 Likes

New set of flowers came up on this orchids previous set of flowers lasted about 11 weeks 08-05-23.

10 Likes

finally starting to get enough for dinner! I planted those pumpkins in early April taking a risk. I’m pulling the big tomatoes as they blush, there a mouse biting them as soon as they get closer to ripe

10 Likes

Harvested most of my Ambrosia Sweet Corn today. This is the best tasting sweet corn I have grown. 4’X8’ raised bed 54 ears of corn harvested. Seeded May 24th and harvested most on 08-06-23 about 73 days. I will plant again this next year .

12 Likes

thats alot for a 4’ x 8’ raised bed! good job!

1 Like

@Naeem … i grew ambrosia for many years … it was our fav too… like you said just the right amount of sweetness and good corn flavor.

I experimented with some of those super sweet varieties… and yes they were plenty sweet… but lacked that good corn flavor.

I tried others ocasionally with friends highly recommending them… like incredible… but never found one we liked better than ambrosia.

5 Likes

How tall is this Ambrosia variety, I want a short variety, the plants I bought from the nursery are too tall. They shade other plants too.

1 Like

Most mine are 7’ and some are 6’ tall.

2 Likes

I didn’t cover my first Korean Giants and a Hosui . . . and they disappeared ‘clean as a whistle’, one night. We had cages around several of the trees, last year, but took them off because it was almost impossible to care for the trees. I guess I’ll have to figure out a way to drape branches with the fruit next year. - Such a drag to wait for the fruit to ripen . . . and then have a 4-legged thief abscond with it. I was surprised how there was no half-eaten fruit or torn branches, though. ???

4 Likes

My nylon net is for the birds, I’m sure the rats and squirrels can get through. But I think the more fragrant the fruit the more they go after by sense of smell at night.

It’s nice to see my first Hood pear blooms, that means they may have fruit next year. It’s completely a surprise, because it’s August, I didn’t give them anything, just water.

Golden Dorsett also has flowers

My first decent size Fuji, it’s been 4-5 years, growing fruit is a long game

OGR, Vick’s Caprice, I finally see the light white stripe.

Chandos Beauty

Tangerine Skies

Charles de Gaulle, the whole bush

8 Likes

Boy does that corn look good!!! Congrats. Thats not. Easy to do!

3 Likes

These make me think of Christmas. They grow here and there in the edge if my woods. Carolina buckthorn. You can eat the berries once they darken… but they dont taste good…

This evenings harvest…
Okra
Squash
Ss 100 tomatoes
Heritage raspberries
Joan J raspberries
Eversweet… everbearing… strawberries.

9 Likes

Adenium .

7 Likes

Rocha pears

10 Likes

Are the Hood pear supposed to bloom this time of the year in your location?

2 Likes