Buds Flowers and Fruit - 2023 Edition

Longan tree is just beautiful, waxy leaves

Lychee tree, this one makes me feel guilty, just when I decided to move it eventually, it sends out beautiful young leaves, maybe I will move it to a container, it’s in a bad spot, this will be my test of moving this kind of tree, in the past I killed lychee and longan trees by moving them.

Finally got my nylon netting to cover my Hosui and 20th century pears.

Chantilly cream

9 Likes

Japanese cucumber, not sure it will turn bitter or not.

Another large tomato, not sure which variety, but it’s not Giant Belgium

For some reasons, all the white roses are blooming again.

White Eden Climber

Pure Perfume

Bolero

Tranquility

Cloud 10

Charles Rennie Mackintosh

Charles de Gaulle

10 Likes

Wow your roses are sooooooooo lovely!!! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Thanks @Luisport, they seem to be doing much better now after I removed 2 palm trees, nothing but thick stack of roots.

1 Like

That’s great! They don’t like competition…

2 Likes

Finally, Black Mission or Black Jack, I don’t know which because the label says Black from DWN.

After covering with black nylon netting

6 Likes

Here’s the first Asian pear of the year, a small Shinsui. I let the tree overcrop but the birds have been attacking this one so maybe underthinning was a good thing.

12 Likes

@Naeem just curious, do you have a shallow pan of fresh water within 50 ft from your plum trees (I used an old garbage can lid)? I had what looked like a bird-pecked young plum earlier this year and it seems like i never saw this type of problem again ever since having water out nearby… (knock on wood)

5 Likes

@JimmyM its been a few years. What do you think of the thornberry?

1 Like

Delicious time of year !

@PharmerDrewee I think I have the same pears. They are very good.

I don’t know what I’m going to do with all these William prides apples??? They are perfect this year.

13 Likes

Amazing harvest, Jim. Yes, those pears look very much like Shinsui.

4 Likes

Yes I do have some water in couple places it was working when fruit was green upon color change it was not working unfortunately .

2 Likes

nice! i just added a Wiliams pride and zestar this spring.

2 Likes

Red Haven & Veteran

13 Likes

a small bit this morning. I pick these kinds of tomatoes as they blush, there’s mice that will bite at them if I don’t. also a test piece of the sugarcane, it’s about 4 feet tall now in a nice bunch.

florea fig ripening one at a time. I’m so impatient

6 Likes

I agree it feels like a long time but it’s only been 3 months.
The tree dropped all but one fruit, probably too young to even hold that. Not one of my most precocious trees but it’s not in the best spot either. I only did two sprays counting my winter oil and sulfur so disease resistants seems ok but I haven’t had any insect damage either…this year. I will most definitely document when I eat this apple but I think it’s far too early.

3 Likes

Well good luck with it.
I think I like apples that lean tart (granny smith is really the only one I’ve had but I prefer them over sweeter options) so I’m interested in trying others. Thornberry seems like a good candidate. Really all of the Rosetta apples sound interesting but are not widely grown.

4 Likes

Almost ripe!

18 Likes

Everything has tasted so good this year. Due to heat, excessive heat, all of my fruit is sooo sweet. My abricot jam hardly needed sugar, only for setting. Now my white peaches are coming in. I serve them sliced with an orange liqueur from Italy called. Aurum. Incredibly delicious and a summer favorite. The peaches are great on their own. Sweetest I have ever eaten. They are Grosse Mignonne. So good. I wish they were cling free.

8 Likes

This begonia is producing larger than usual flowers this year.

8 Likes