Buds Flowers and Fruit - 2024 Edition

Tillamook Goumi,
Marshall Strawberry,
And a thornless Boysenberry.
Budding and flowering begins.

8 Likes

5 Likes

Red gem goumi fruit forming…

On my red gem bush… this is a graft of carmine that I added last spring. You can see the size difference in the fruit in the early development stages .

10 Likes

Another good year for Japanese Andromeda blooming for a month or longer.

6 Likes

Is this black spotting on my pear buds anything to worry about? IMG_7064|690x920

If you get lucky with that seedling - I’m always searching for later blooming/more frost “proof” stone fruit. To be fair my green gage was blooming a couple weeks ago, apricot a week ago, and peach this week … and it dropped below 20 last night. I have beautiful trees - fruit is too hit and miss though. I’m growing out a whole collection of Elberta seedlings from drought hardy orchard in the so cal high desert - fingers crossed something will do better, but i have other ones i could trade in another year?

March 15th!?

March 30th … :cry:

5 Likes

My greenhouse mascot a friendly little Carolina anole

7 Likes

Ants can be effective pollinators as well!

7 Likes

Illinois everbearing survived last nights frost, so it must not have been bad at all. Hopefully this was the ::sigh:: last one.

5 Likes

Rooted elderberry cuttings that I planted out a couple weeks ago are coming up.

5 Likes

Romeo

and Juliet bush cherries are looking like they’re going to be loaded this year (third leaf).

My…‘columnar’ Novaspy. I notched it above a bunch of buds, but it only looks like it’s going to have fruiting spurs the first four and a half feet.

Bonus blueberry plant. Not a great name, but it’s growing the best of the ones I’ve planted. A rabbit bit half the canes to the ground last year, so third year in I’m hoping to get an OK amount of blueberries, finally.

6 Likes

It’s so warm in Chicago land, my J. Plum Shiro starts to bloom. I don’t blame it.It feels like summer here in 70s

8 Likes

These are Pakistani mulberry. Didn’t like this weekend’s weather, even down at my Mom’s at 1000m.

3 Likes

Green gage, two year old tree from cutting on own root.

12 Likes

Eu Plum Mt Royal… first fruits…

Lapins cherry… first fruits.

Both were started in 2018.

:wink:

14 Likes

Tifblue and Climax blueberries. Looks like a good crop this year.

8 Likes

My Flavor Grenade pluot today. The best fruit set on these two branches. And yes I know I need to thin some.

Still, it’s exciting to see first fruit. https://youtube.com/shorts/DthkH9X6RQo?si=snMbOztSYF7hT2-s

4 Likes

That looks good! Almost no thinning required. Im interested in whicj plums you have that it surpassed.

1 Like

Glad to see some fruit set on those trees that you have been waiting quite some time on!

2 Likes

Sweet cherry, probably Stella, in full bloom:

Felix Jury magnolia bloomed a few weeks ago:

Grapes got a little frost but seemed to have survived with no damage, at least in my location:

Pacific Coast irises are looking great this year:

11 Likes