Buds , Flowers and Fruits 2022 Edition!

I don’t have any this year. :expressionless: Glad yours did well!!!

2 Likes

Could you please elaborate on your plans with the sumac? How do you plan on using the berries. I have a ton of Rhus typhina that grows around me and have heard of people making “lemonade” from the ripe berries, but never tried anything with them myself. I did experiment this year with root cuttings and had success just pushing them in the earth in early spring. May be a cheap and easy way to grow your patch.

2 Likes

the ripe berries, you put them in hot water and then squeeze all the juice out, add sugar for sumac “lemonade”.

I let them dry out on the plant then crush them into powder, mix with white pepper for a spicy “lemon” pepper. I go through a ton of sumac powder in cooking so I’m really happy to have some ready in the tree

3 Likes

5 cups illini blackberries… 4 half pints low sugar blackberry chia jam. Mmmm good.

8 Likes

Moonglow Pears sizing up (07-16-22) .

8 Likes

My mother is house-sitting for my brother in south FL, and she sent me a massive mango from the enormous old tree in their back yard, which they suspect is seed-grow. They are in a traditionally Haitian neighborhood, but I’ve got no idea what cultivar it could be. This is not even the biggest one to ripen this year (she said the tree is just starting to ripen now, so it’s a pretty late variety), but clocks in over 3 lbs:

(Its cousin the ataulfo is in the second photo for comparison)

She usually lets them ripen on the tree, but picked this one early to make sure it would survive the cross-country trip. Hopefully it’ll still be tasty once it ripens up!

18 Likes

8 Likes

Are you sure that’s a mango . . . and not a papaya?
Guess you would know for sure, since the trees look sooooo different. I’ve never seen a mango quite like that - and I grew up in Miami. That Ataulfo looks great!

3 Likes

It is definitely a mango! I agree I’ve never seen a mango like this, and my hobby as a kid in Miami was foraging fallen mangos from rights-of-way :joy:

My mom says they are fiberless with an unusually thin seed, so it’s a huge amount of flesh per fruit. My sister-in-law is Thai and mostly uses the fruit from this tree unripe in her cooking, but they are supposedly also very good when ripe. I’m going to ask for scionwood to graft on my greenhouse tree, though I can’t imagine getting the tree large enough in my greenhouse to support more than a couple fruit this size!

2 Likes

Twilight Zone, not as exciting as the large mango

Belinda’s Dream

Grapefruit mint and peppermint, I debated for years whether to grow mint or not, they are a pest if I’m not careful.

6 Likes

My espalier pumpkin, I think it’s a pumpkin. I let some gourds and pumpkins rot there and this sprouted.

18 Likes

Love the shelves! I’m planning to make little hammocks for my greenhouse melons, but tempted to try to make shelves work now that I’ve seen yours.

2 Likes

What a great idea!!!

3 Likes

boards screwed to old wood pallets work great for this if you want to put them like on the side of a house/ garage without having to put screws in them. ive done it with melon, cukes and winter squash.

3 Likes

My illini blackberries are about done for the year… few left now.

13 Likes

You are the blackberry man!

3 Likes

dang man you grow a nice blackberry! my nelsons and dewberry are sizing up now . usually start ripening late july/ early aug. my dewberries look alot like your illni hardy but more purple than black. looks like im going to get a good harvest of them this year. the taste is even better than the nelsons which are very good. the -40’s last winter damaged my nelsons some but i should be getting a decent harvest still. didnt kill any canes, just stunted them so some barely produced any leaves/ fruit.

1 Like

Late pomegranate flowers

Seedless n6

Ariana

3 Likes

That looks like a contest,of how many Blackberries can be held in a hand.

2 Likes

@Bradybb … i had a few more that did not make the pic… i was stacking them up for sure.

2 Likes