Buds , Flowers and Fruits 2022 Edition!

Plums / Pluots are in full bloom while Nectarines Peaches are starting to bloom. Although next week we are expecting frost and below freezing temperature. Every year we have chance of late frost what can you do ?
I am thinking to put large garbage bags on some branches just to protect some flowers any thoughts ?

Plums

Nectarines

Sweet Cherries

Daffodils

14 Likes

If temperatures get low enough and for a duration(how long?),that will probably not work,without extra heat,inside the bags.I wonder if some kind of pocket warmers will help.One of mine is powered by lighter fluid and lasts several hours.
A lot of hassle for some fruit,but hey.

4 Likes

One of my Cornelian cherries is in full bloom. They are forecasting a low of 21 degrees next week so they will probably all be frozen.

7 Likes

I like this. What is the name?

1 Like

Grape hyacinths were planted likely in 1930-1950 on Watson Avenue in Vancouver at the small house that became a duplex mom lived in, around 1995. I found them evidently covered up with 3 feet of soil by the rock driveway only appearing as if grass and mowed down by accident. I grew a garden there, and dug deep instead of building a raised bed. Then these bloomed! Such a surprise. I found a Buffalo nickel and some broken pottery and a rusted off gear for a tractor likely with rubber on the head for L or R. This is all why I guess at the year these were bought and planted. I rescued them when mom moved out and they have grown in Hazel Dell at my late gramma’s apartment ever since.

Although they took out my gardens, things by nature grew back. I have the whole place covered in strawberries of who knows what sort, and there are grape hyacinth and even iris and daffodils coming up where I never had any planted. I am glad they gave up and allowed so far these to live.

The planters are mine and I am trying to make them look full and cheerful. Any suggestions for zone 8b always open to listen. I mix flowers with edibles.

7 Likes

First open flower on my TDE3 mandarin (aka Tahoe Gold™), it hadn’t flowered yet since I bought it almost exactly one year ago:

It’s covered in more buds, so I’m optimistic about getting fruit! I’m planning to plant it in the ground in the greenhouse soon, since it came through the winter so well in there.

5 Likes

Hi. It’s a Japanese hardy orchid calanthe

3 Likes

Lady Slippers:

Gisela

Sabine Pastel

Macranthos Alba

5 Likes

Most things are coming alive here.

The first fruit flower to open goes to a Satsuma plum.

Intrepid peach at red calyx stage.

Shenandoah pawpaw flower buds are starting to enlarge.

Asian pears almost at tight cluster.

I wonder if any of these will survive 2 nights of 21 degrees Monday and Tuesday next week.

9 Likes

Natchez blackberry leaf sprouts

Pear bloom, looks like freeze got it

Pluot blooms

Early Zestar apple bloom about to open. Yikes.

Hillside full of daffodils

13 Likes

Those daffodils are quite a sight!

4 Likes

Yeah, they brighten up the place even tho it’s still cold some days. They’re always the first thing to bloom here. Alas, they’ll get fried Sat and Sun night, supposed to be 28 and 23 then. My wife’s been collecting them while she can.

Our two forsythia bushes are starting to bloom now.

1 Like

Nanking Cherry started showing it’s first couple flowers 2 days ago in zone 6b central ohio

9 Likes

Pleione Tibesti

5 Likes

In TN red buds are coming on…

Note to morel mushroom hunters… at my location after red buds have been blooming a few weeks… the first dogwood blooms will start to open. You better be looking for morels then.

My lapins cherry tree… 4th leaf.
The last two years a few blooms but no fruit.
What do you think about this being the year for first fruit ? It is covered in those…

I am hopeful.

2 Likes

Some spring blooming camellias are putting on a show.

12 Likes

Trilliums starting to open:

9 Likes

Not for the faint of heart, but dogs will sniff anything. My Amorphophallus Konjacs are blooming.

14 Likes

Honeyberry…

My red gem goumi is a bit earlier to bloom than my sweet scarlet.

4 Likes

What it smells like? I heard it smells like dead body.
How do you manage to get it bloom?do you replant it every year or just leave it in the pot? I have one but only grow leaves.