Buds , Flowers and Fruits 2022 Edition!

I’ve ate about a dozen of these Tri Lite peach plums. They are basically a juicy white peach…very sweet. The key to growing peaches here i think is having the tree super close to the house so squirrels stay away.

6 Likes

Hot jars… hot rings… brine, okra… quite the operation. Okra all winter :wink:

Love the sound of jars sealing… ping !!!

11 Likes

:grinning: :yum:.

11 Likes

Mourning Cloak butterfly visiting Niagara Black figs.

12 Likes

These looking wonderful delicious. Could you please write few lines about complete process since I am on low carb modified keto diet and want to add in it.

@Naeem … yes… will put it in the fruit in kitchen area… ps… I am using a recipe for canning okra for frying… youtuber… old alabama gardner provided it a few years back and there are some other homesteaders on YT canning it like that… and showing cooking and eating it years later.

I will let you know when i get it posted there.

Above is the recipe (x2) one for small amount of okra and one for larger amount.

I will include more details, and video links in the Fruit in your Kitchen section.

@Naeem — Below is the link… details are there…

1 Like

Thanks @TNHunter I will try this .

@Naeem … when we fresh fry okra “KETO”…

I simply harvest it wash it, dry it, cut it up… put it in a bowl large enough for stirring it up some.

For 2 or 3 cups of cut up okra… beat up 1 egg and pour in your okra bowl… and stir it up to coat all.

Next we season well with 5 spice (a simple even mix of salt pepper onion powder garlic powder paprika).

Just sprinkle that on and stir it up some to coat it all well…

Next… 2 or 3 tablespoons of super fine almond flour… and 2 or 3 tablespoons of pork panko… then mix all that in well.

We use a mix of avocado oil and bacon fat to fry it in… turning it over a few times…

When it has browned up nicely on all sides… and starts going a little past brown… early blackened color… that is where i like it best.

Very chrispy, crunchy… no slime left… only deliciousness.

I had a big pile of it for lunch today… oh so good.

NOTE on the canning it for frying… the brine mix that you can it in has some salt in the brine… so when you open a jar of that to fry later… you may need to eliminate or at least lessen the salt in your seasoning.

Good luck !!

3 Likes

After dinner delights…

9 Likes

Today’s Harvest! :smile:

11 Likes

Gazpacho!!! Salsa!

1 Like

HR’s starting to fall crop some… delicious.

11 Likes

I like the yellow/orange thingies in the background almost as much as red raspberries.

(Marigolds)

My caroline are loaded with green fruit, but nothing ripe yet. The bumble bees hit them so hard. I read something that raspberries are one of the better nectar sources for bees so it really attracts them.

Agree on the flowers. Always liked marigolds (and the smell).

1 Like

Yes… marigolds… i plant them between tomato plants… and yes the bumblebees here are wild about raspberry blossoms.

I have just a few HRs and Fall Golds fruiting early… and several others with blossoms and small fruit… and more that have not bloomed yet. Raspberries here in the fall sort of trickle in… where in the spring big crop.

I’ve also read,that the fruit are the prime choice,for Spotted Wing Drosophila.Does your area get them?

yes. i just try to pick them when still firm and not think about it :slight_smile:

1 Like

We only have one grade vine…Fredonia black seedless…planted in 2009 with the FIRST fruit this year.

6 Likes

Does anyone have an opinion on how LONG a raspberry vine should be allowed to grow before trimming? My wife and I don’t agree. SHE says that we should leave raspberry vines at their current (12-14 foot) length. I placed a wire stretched from post to post, and said that we should tie the vines so they stand up to the wire (4-5 feet) and cut everything longer than that. SHE says that the longer the vine, the more raspberries we will get. I say that shorter stalks will concentrate 100% of the raspberries into a 4 foot space. Any comments?

I’m eagerly waiting for Long An to mature, this is the first year it seems to be abundant of fruit. Mauritius variety.

My tiny Hosui, what I’m glad is I rescued this plant multiple times and here it is, this fruit is the size of a plum

My other decent Asian Pear, the size of a small apple, not sure what variety because the tag is gone, I bought this from Home Depot. Does anyone know what variety this is.

Maybe Charentais melon, this will be picked this weekend and give away. I can’t believe I’m bored of eating this melon, but I already had 5-6 fruit already.

Bolero

Wedgewood rose

Melon D’Or

My lone watermelon from compost, it’s about a foot long, the biggest ever in my yard

I have 5 of this melon from my compost, unbelievable, next year I just dump my compost out and wait for melons to emerge

6 Likes