Buds , Flowers and Fruits 2022 Edition!

In my experience and environment, apples take about 5 years from planting to develop fruit with a mature taste.

3 Likes

9 Likes

I have heard some people say that here on the forum (I believe Scott said it about Rubinette?) and I hope this is right. In this context I can remark that my employers trees (which were sadly felled last winter) were definitely mature, at least 20 years old.

@TNHunter - Both STUNNERS! Thanks!

@Oepfeli - thank you for taking the time to describe your experience. Sometimes memory has a way of tricking us. But, sounds like you recall your first Akane quite well!

And @Richard - thanks for your observation. I will use patience for a few more years instead of chopping off some (thus) disappointing apple branches!

2 Likes

@PomGranny
I’ve no experience with Frankenfruit trees. I do think a hardy 5+ year root system is essential, and others here can advise under those conditions how long it takes a new graft to become a working conduit assimilated with the host.

2 Likes

I was just pushing our little one around in a stroller and saw this little raspberry growing all across someone’s alleyway rock wall, and it was covered in ripe fruit:

Since a number of them had rotted or dropped, I decided it would be no harm to taste one. They are very sweet and tasty! Does anyone know what species this is or where to get them? I may knock on their door and ask for cuttings.

7 Likes

Carpet Raspberry. I thought about putting them in my flower beds as ground cover.

2 Likes

Thanks! I saw that Raintree had them in stock so ordered one. I may still ask the neighbor for cuttings later to compare them, in case they aren’t the same cultivar. I’ve got plenty of rocky bits where they’d do well I think.

2 Likes

I was just getting some fresh air and noticed this either way late or way early. :joy:

4 Likes

I’ve seen just a couple blooms on one apple…but it’s almost an annual thing that something puts out fall flowers (and usually it reduces next spring’s flowers).

We are seeing fruit buds opening after summer pruning, esp with Orin Martins approach.

i think i read they are native to the mountains of Taiwan.

A couple trees at the house are bearing. I had a good year for blooms with several trees blossoming for the first time, but fruit set was poor as the weather got cold as soon as the blooms opened and I had no pollinator activity. The last pic is of my Colette Pear tree. It only set one bloom this spring with the cold weather, but in July it bloomed again, as it always does, and I have a lot of fruit that will be unable to ripen.
Ginger Gold:

Cox Orange Pippin (my first and only)

Colette Pear:

7 Likes

Today we’re having our first rain since March, courtesy of tropical storm Kay. So far it’s dropped 1/3 inch locally and perhaps we’ll have over an inch by the time it dissipates. The winds have been mild - 7 to 13 mph. In the map below we are adjacent to Oceanside.

6 Likes

Hopefully enough,but not too much.

1 Like

Pears are about to end only handful of Moonglow left while others are done for the season.

Ayers, Moonglow, Magness and chojuro pear.

7 Likes

Does Magness ripen without the fridge?

Jonafree apples, plentiful and tasty. Not the best,.but better than grocery store apples.

I think chocolate persimmon, not clean fruit, lots of marks and soft spots. How do I know when they are ripe? Sample when soft?

I’m still getting cantaloupe, a few a week. The patch has started growing again and there are multiple smaller Mellons starting up again. I hope they ripen. Also Hosui is excellent, as always.

Pears are kind of a mess. I think I picked them too early, they came off easily when tilted, I think the tilt test failed me. They were in the fridge, but this batch hasn’t ripened up great yet.

9 Likes

Those are probably Coffeecake. Cut one in half to see if it’s pollinated. The flesh would be full of brown flecks and it would have noticeable seeds. If so then they’re edible now or however soft you prefer.

3 Likes

Persimmons, Pawpaws and Figs. Somehow I have a feeling this is what most of my Orchard will be left with going forwards as other fruits require a lot of TLC.

Persimmons: American unk & Prok

Figs: Makedonia Dark, Gino’s black and Florea

Pawpaw: Tropical Treat

10 Likes