Buds , Flowers and Fruits 2022 Edition!

Giant phalenopsis orchid

10 Likes

Wisteria sinensis

Hosta White Feather

2 Likes

Citrus trees in container, all these trees were not doing anything, more like struggling in my front yard, I rescued them and put them in pots, I also fed them with Jojobe sticks

Grapefruit

Lemon, possibly Eureka

Lemon, possibly Eureka

Grapefruit

Lychee, so far I had nothing from this tree, let’s see what will happen this year

Asparagus from seeds

Rhubarb

Fig, Peter’s honey

5 Likes

Ilona Apricot

LaRadek EBT fig - breba

Sweetcrisp blueberries

Gerardi mulberry - the latest to open are okay, but the majority have frost damage

Shenandoah pears - need thinning and a good coat of surround

Contender peach - AKA squirrel food

Carmine Jewel sour cherries

Seckel pear

16 Likes

looking at all this and the only thing budding here is my black currants. surprisingly my indigo series honeyberries havent shown green yet. rhubarbs up 3in but still yellow. gave them all a good dose of fish emulsion 2 days ago. trees only get woodchips in a few more weeks when the arborist brings me some.

6 Likes

Satsuma, last year I had quite a few, this year it seems like I have more than last, this one is under the apricot tree

Fuyu persimmon

6 Likes

You are really ahead of us there in TN. Everything dormant here. Just a few crocuses starting now.

2 Likes

Squirrels love apricots even more! They start taking them while still green, as they love the sweet kernels… Not sure whether Ilona has sweet or bitter kernel though.

@northwoodswis4 … we welcome northerners… down here in the southwoods… :wink:

1 Like

Lol, it is hard to imagine they love them more than peaches, since they’ll take all the peaches when they are still green and the size of a walnut, but I believe you. The tree only had one fruit last year and that disappeared, so I’m hoping to save at least one of the half dozen that formed this year. You gotta dream…

1 Like

A few years ago, I had squirrels strip a big Blenheim tree clean without touching two neighboring nectarine trees, in just 2-3 days.

1 Like

I have 3 berries on my Indigo Treat…they appear to be near full size.
Aurora plants I got in Feb look super.
Order from Honeyberry USA just shipped.
(Currants and honeyberries).

3 Likes

Bacon avocados

11 Likes

First ripe fruit today… eversweet strawberry.

9 Likes

From your tunnel?

@mrsg47 — from a food forest bed in the edge of my field.

I have several showing red now… I have a mix of sure crop (june bearer) and eversweet (everbearing) and some seascape… I know this one was not a seascape… but my sure crop and eversweet have sort of mixed together… but I am pretty sure this one was a eversweet.

It looks like I am going to have a really good strawberry crop this year.

I was wondering if honeyberry would ripen before strawberry here… but NOPE… all my honeyberries and goumi’s are still quite un-ripe.

Last year I had some ripe goumi on May 10.

I have not had a ripe honeyberry yet… but I do have some fruit set this year and may get one soon ?
They are still quite green at this point.

PS… I had that floating row cover tunnel setup last fall and into the winter. We had fresh greens until January. I should set it up early spring… and start more greens… just did not get to that this year… may next spring.

2 Likes

Lots of fruitlets on my first-year Blue Forest honeyberry, even though the whole thing is barely over a foot tall:

7 Likes

last fall i removed strawberries from a over run 4’ x 12’ raised bed. filled it with chic. manure compost. in oct. while cleaning the yard i hit my 3 year old aurora honeyberry with the tractor and broke 1/3rd off the bush. instead of chucking it, i got 13 cuttings out of it. i stuck them all in a line in my amended raised bed. 2 days later we got 8in. of snow. they were buried until 4 days ago. i checked them with a tug test. all of them rooted! no bark scratching or rooting hormone used. was going to dig and move them but i decided to leave them to form a 12’ honeyberry hedge. you want honeyberry plants put cuttings out in ground in the fall.

5 Likes

The “flame” Azaleas here are yellow/orange/red. Tons of small ones and some probably hitting the 12’ mark.

7 Likes

Giant phalenopsis orchid

5 Likes