BuenOS

1 fruit on the tree…1st year… container grown… I’ve been testing it the past week to figure out if its ripe or not…you can see the brown parts are probably from me squeezing it… The blossom? end was very sweet…maybe needed another few days (it has not been a warm summer here…maybe 1 day above 90F) —everything seems late. Taste isn’t like Saturn or TangOs… good flavor but hard to describe…juicy. No rot or anything. Good size. My Saturn and TangOS got hammered by late PC activity…so they never sized properly. I have 2 of these trees and they are on Krymsk 86.

2 Likes

I’m impressed that you were able to protect it- when I have one fruit on a tree it often goes to the local wildlife.

When I’ve had Buenos at local farmers markets, they haven’t been too exciting- did this one have much kick to it?

Here’s my TangOs- I finally have a nice sized crop. The ones near the top (~11’, after I recently cut off the 4’ of new growth) definitely didn’t get thinned enough. Even one part I thinned needs a rope to keep it from dragging on the ground.

Two sprays of MFF (full strength on 6/30 and half strength on 7/26) seems to be keeping the brown rot mostly in check. Now, only the damaged ones are rotting. They are almost ready now, though the brix isn’t great yet. I picked one today which was 11 brix and juicy with moderate firmness.

That is a lot of peaches!

No…not much kick. Very juicy. Pleasant flavor, but hard to explain… Not like a nectarine or peach i’ve ate.

Here is my TangOs…well the one that the PC didn’t get…saving it for my kids…they love them

Wildlife has left me alone this year except for the rabbits… I actually hand caught a baby bunny this afternoon…about the size of a hamster… I can’t believe it…they must have had so many babies this spring/summer. I’ve trapped 13 of them. I still figure i have 3-5 bigger ones hanging around.

Due to extreme laziness…i haven’t sprayed since May. Once the little ones are big ones, then i’m breaking out the napalm, agent orange…whatever it takes to get clean fruit…:slight_smile:

I harvested the first of my Tangos today as well as Buenos. Some of the TangO’s are bigger than those in the photo but so far the flavor is disappointing this year- sure hope later ripening fruit is better. As far as Buenos- I spit out the fruit- hate the low acidity. It is a beautiful bimbo of a peach by my palate as grown in S. NY this year. Of course, later ripening fruit could be better. I will keep you posted. I was not impressed with it last year and only TangO’s has been a winner as far as the Rutgers saucer team goes. Birds have been a huge issue this season but they aren’t interested in TangO’s. The purple plums and red peaches are diverting them.

My daughter and I ate the TangOS…it was very sweet… good texture.

I still favor a good yellow fleshed nectarine over all this stuff but its fun to grow.

When walking by my tree this evening I noticed the sweet smell of peaches. I figure that if I smell it, it won’t be long until the raccoon and other animals do so as well. So I picked the first two dozen or so. Probably another hundred or more to go, if nothing gets them before me. I do see some bird pecks, which seems to be where the brown rot starts.

Some of the fruit are small and some have lots of bacterial spot. A lot of them have spot only on one side. While I don’t think they are great, they are definitely going quickly, as my family ate 15-17 of them tonight. Most of the brix readings are in the 10-11 range- not great, but at least it has enough flavor to be interesting, without being sour.

I ate some TangO’s yesterday and pulled some off the tree for a member of this forum who was filming my actions. The flavor was disappointing and there was a lot of brown rot in the fruit for the first time after three previous seasons. This morning I went back to the tree to open it up- it had gotten away from me as TangO can- it is a rank grower. I think the rot was as much a result of excessive shade as anything, and that it also affected the flavor of the fruit because higher in the tree I found excellent flavored fruit.

On the other hand, BuenO’s just flat out sucks unless you like low-acid fruit. Sure is a pretty bimbo, though.

Bob,

A lot of my TangOs looked like yours this year. After growing these a few years, I’m convinced they get spot pretty easily.

Of all the NJ flats, TangOs II seemed to generate the most oohs and aahs. Most people liked the TangOs I, but I don’t recall anyone who didn’t like a TangOs II they tried. That said, I liked them OK, but I don’t think I’d like to eat very many of them. I think they’d get sickly sweet pretty quick.

Like Alan, I don’t like BuenOs at all. I have one more BuenOs in my yard which I will probably remove. The BuenOs II have a nice yellow peach flavor, but were ridiculously spotty this year, to the point most were unmarketable.

Olpea…do you think these things (flat peaches) are worth growing, or are they mostly just a novelty type item? I realize you grow stuff for sale and that if it sells well and has demand then that in itself makes it worth growing, but would you recommend them to the average backyard orchard guy/gal?

What is your typical experience with other peaches regarding spot and ease of growing as compared to flats?
What is your mainstay fungicide? I know you like Mustang for an insecticide, but I don’t recall if you’ve mentioned what fungicide you spray?

Lastly, I remember you said you peeled your peaches (I do too), how do you easily accomplish this with flats when there is so little flesh there to begin with?

For a guy who has extraordinary difficulty with peaches (and most stone fruit in general) I cannot imagine me choosing flats to try to grow when I’ve read so much negative stuff both here and at GW concerning these flat peaches.

Apple,

I think for myself, I would try to grow flats for home use. They do get spotty, but the spot is bacterial. I think if I were growing them for myself, I would simply spray them with Mycoshield. Mycoshield is labeled for bac. spot. I’ve sprayed it on a few peach trees in my backyard which are prone to bac. spot and the results are pretty amazing. It doesn’t cost that much long term. I think it’s about $40 for a pack which will last a long long time. I store mine in a little refrigerator I don’t use to store food. Heat will degrade antibiotics much faster.

I rotate fungicides, like I do insecticides. Early in the season I use Captan to control scab. Later, I use some Pristine, Indar and/or Bumper to control rot.

The skin on flat peaches doesn’t bother me as much as the skin on melting flesh peaches, so I don’t try to peel the donuts.

I am now harvesting truly delicious TangO’s peaches and concur that it is a variety worth the extra effort it requires. This year I’m losing more than ever to brown rot partially because my main tree grew so vigorously this year I didn’t manage to keep it open enough. Of course, more spray would likely have solved that problem as well.

My kids and I ate some TangOS yesterday…smaller fruit, but delicious. Excellent fruit for kids.

@alan

TangO’s may be the fruit for you to get your bonafides in the Fan Espalier methodology.

Mike

Mike, it would look cool against a wall and the reflected light would probably solve much of the rot problems and drive up the brix to create an amazing fruit. Unfortunately, I’m using all the best walls on my property for apricots right now. Currently I’m not managing a single stone fruit espalier (besides the very informal apricots), although I have in the past.

@alan

I find stone-fruit espalier/fan to be hugely more challenging than apples or pears. They grow like weeds. Apricots in particular have sent up 12"-15" shoots from pruning sites within 10 days.

Late last summer my Saturn peach got so out of hand that I just gave up trying to keep it in check this season because I was doing so much else. This season, I did not have the time to properly tie and shape to the trellis so I, brutally, weighed down and bent down and away from each other some pretty major branches and hacked away those in the center that did not co-operate. The tree looked like an elephant sat on it and squished it. BUT it was definitely as open as any espalier.

The tree set huge. I easily thinned 60+% of the fruits and I have at least 150 on a six foot tall by 10 foot oblong (birds eye view) tree. I sprayed ONCE with MFF on July 4th. and, yes, it has been kinda dry since then with periodic short rains, but NOT A SINGLE SPOT on them .

Now, watch it make a liar out of me when I get back there this weekend :smile:

I give alot of credit to the open espalier-like feature of this tree for the clean fruit.

Mike

That is probably right. My own apricot was the cleanest of fruit with only one summer spray of Indar. I have a free form shape on the tree and prune it back at my convenience. The most well lit fruit is certainly the best- flavor and looks.

Apricot in top of tree in best light are about 5 points higher brix than those low on the tree.

I had a very few 26 brix Orangered this season, superb!!

All my apricots are 100% exposed to the sun from 10 a.m to 6 p.m.

Mike

I’m a latecomer to this thread… Bob that looks like peach scab, if its all black/brown its scab and you need a bit of red for it to be spot. They often need the same treatment, but mycoshield won’t help for scab as it is not bacterial. i use sulphur at nickel/dime size and that greatly reduces the amount of peach scab I get.

I topworked my TangOs but am going to let a few limbs grow back on it. It rotted too badly for me but it will be fun to have a few of them at least.

Thanks Scott- I checked the pics and you are 100% right. It’s scab and not bacterial spot.

On Friday I picked most of the remaining TangOs, ~170 in total, just over 19 lbs. The ones on the left were damaged, either by brown rot, bird pecks, or yellow jackets. The ones on the right are mostly OK (just some peach scab spots).

I cut up the ~100 damaged peaches. I figured that there was no way I could each them before they rot (some were already half way…). So, I separated the good parts out and froze them. It made just over 2 large freezer bags. This will be the first time I’ve tried this, but it sounds like Alan has had at least some success with freezing nectarines and maybe TangO’s texture will help them keep some firmness too.