Building a Greenhouse

In the process of building a greenhouse. My wife and I have done everything but the electrical work and the last bit of plumbing. It has been a lot of work, but fun. We are using a kit by Cedarbuilt. Will update when finished.

40 Likes

Looks like a piece of goods—-and quite a production to install.

2 Likes

Love it! I bet you will too!

1 Like

Looks very professional to say the least. Only one problem: too nice, looks expensive, I believe it gets filled up in a hurry. Excellent job!!

2 Likes

Looks great. I think you will enjoy it.

2 Likes

How many trees are you planning to put in this greenhouse?

1 Like

She is only smiling, because ,…
As far as I can see , she has not started shoveling gravel yet.
Just has a vision of how good it will be. Happy.
It will be good…
… And
It is…
Nice , greenhouse !
Good job .

9 Likes

You are so lucky to have a lovely helper. Everything gets done faster and better with two persons. :wink:

3 Likes

This was only half of all the gravel we moved, as bad as you describe

5 Likes

I can confirm it was expensive…

1 Like

That’s love for growin’ from O’girl. Congratulations, Phil!

2 Likes

Well, it might have been, but it might not have cost you all that much, because it’s very nice, it’s going to last a long time, and someday somebody buying that house might pay up a bit because of that greenhouse. I’d claim that you were just shifting assets around!

5 Likes

Planning to do 5 or 6 figs, 2 mangos 1 Achacha and then various flowers and vegetables.

2 Likes

That’s what we were thinking, have something that will improve the resale value.

3 Likes

Beautiful! Please keep posting pictures. I’m longing to build one myself.

Also, could you talk about how you did the foundation?

3 Likes

We did a wood foundation with 4 x 6 pressure treated lumber. The wood sits on a trench of 3/4” gravel. Roughly 8” deep and 8” wide. We did not add earth anchors as the area where it is located is pretty buffeted from the wind (fence + trees). However, if need be we can add those later. The Structure itself is pretty heavy, but not heavy enough to resist a significant overturning force caused by wind.

1 Like

Looks awesome. Hoping to get one myself someday. We really miss the mangoes we could grow in FL (but not the weather).

Any idea what it will take to heat it? Depending on what you grow I assume you’d have to keep it above 35 or 40 in winter (above 50 or 60 if you really want it tropical).

We will run 2 - 13 amp heaters. We plan to keep the temperature around 55 to 60 degrees. I am not sure on the cost right now. Finished staining over the weekend. It’s looking good! Staining not complete in this picture though.

10 Likes

That’s some real clean work, Phil. I hope for your sakes it doesn’t get too hot inside there.

You won’t believe how hot it can become inside a greenhouse… that’s even during winter.

Have a good one, brother.

Dax

4 Likes

Pretty much done, jade is going to be happy to get some sun.

22 Likes