Built a Kiwi Trellis for 'Issai'

Built a few days ago. Got my plant from Hartmann’s Plant Company, yesterday. Excellent one-gallon ‘Issai’. Dax

I actually bought (3) ‘Issai’. One for me, one for family, one for a friend. And (2) ‘Jeanne’ gooseberries. All excellent plants.

19 Likes

Are they male & female in the same pot?

2 Likes

‘Issai’ doesn’t need a pollinator. Another 50 yards up I have a pollinator for ‘Ken’s Red’ however.

Dax

8 Likes

Excellent looking! I’d put a bench there to watch it grow! Your land is as neat as a golf course! Just beautiful.

4 Likes

He’s a man with a plan!

4 Likes

Thanks for the luv @mrsg47 Mrs. G! The UPS guy says my place looks like a golf course to him. I told him I hit some balls on occasion and he nodded his head up and down pointing to me and smiling as he returned to his vehicle.

@Richard no matter what, you can never plan enough. Am I right? When I’m ready to do something, I have to do it. That’s all there is to it.

Dax

5 Likes

built a 4 leg one setting on flat concrete blocks with heavy wire like a clothesline design for my 3 A. kolomiktas. got 2 males and a female. 1 male has different leaves than the other 2 so i think hirts sent me the wrong cultivar. good thing i had one from another order. mine are about the same size as yours.

3 Likes

Love the carpentry work. Do you have plans for expansion?
Those plants are beasts. I bought 2 in little 4" containers because I thought I’d just grow them on some this summer and transplant this winter. I set them in ground, in a temp spot until I can find someone to make/help me make a trellis for them. Well those ‘little’ plants have engulfed a large tomato cage even after repeated pruning and it is only July. Kinda rethinking the structure I had in mind. :blush:

3 Likes

@moose71 I nearly used galvanized wire but got to thinking that I’d add something really nice-looking that I would see every time I opened my front door sliding glass windows. The cost difference was 5-dollars. So I went with all wood.

@JustAnne4 I do have plans for expansion. This is only one of two places I’ve planted hardy kiwi. In this area the entire fence will be removed and the pecan seedlings you can see in rows will be dug. I’m going to continue the trellis as needed.

My other area is cattle fencing up along the top of my property. I have a Ken’s Red and a pollinator and if all goes well this fall I’ll add a ‘Bingo’ up there. I spaced those bad boys a long ways apart. Like 40’ or more.

Now I never really believe what I read but ‘Issai’ is supposed to be tame. At least compared to all others.

I may just prune this Issai to confine it to that trellis, too. I’ll see how rampant it gets. I would like to add an ‘Ananasnaya’. Scott likes it & ‘Ken’s Red’. I did want to get an Issai for this trellis though.

If I don’t add to this trellis, I’ll build more rows of trellis in front of it for others. I’ll have to visualize what’s going to look really sharp.

Thanks,

Dax

3 Likes

definitely more fancy than mine. i used materials i had on hand. its functional and as its in the back yard, it will work. nice job on yours!.

2 Likes

Tank
you
Moose…

Dax

2 Likes

Beautiful. How do you deal with weeds between rows?

1 Like

I was hand pulling around the fence cause weeds grew up inside. And using a Mantis tiller as well as glyphosate on the actual rows themselves as well as hand pulling between the trees in the rows.

That’s all gone now. I didn’t use any glphosate (Round-up) last year. I spent hours the past days while it’s been 60 here crawling around under my trees hand pulling woody plant “weeds.” I about got it done. Only 6-hours to get the majority of them on 6-acres of land. Once my conifers and other trees become large like the ones I spent 6-hours on then it’ll take more time to care for 6-acres. But, for now I’m really impressed how easy the work was vs. walking around with a spray tank and the amount of energy required to spray (300 plantings?)

Thank you, murky.

Dax

2 Likes

Beautiful looking trellis. I need to build one for the Isaac kiwi I bought. Do you have plans or can you tell me what the height, weight and length. Was there anything you would change if you were going to build it again?

1 Like

I built it to be able to add on. I’m gonna do that. I saved the template for the curved feature.

3 Likes

Love your trellis, it’s exactly what I’m hoping to build. Any chance you could share some rough specs? Did you have anything you would change/improve?

2 Likes

Nice! @Barkslip do you have any updated photos?

1 Like