Bulk Fruit, Spices, sweets & Nuts

I like to purchase my fruit in bulk directly when it’s season . Anyone else doing this with a fruit you can’t raise locally? My most recent purchase is 15 pounds bulk mixed dates for $2 per pound delivered.

10 Likes

What are you going to do with 15lbs of dates?

2 Likes

That’s a years supply.

1 Like

stuff them with walnuts and smoked Gorgonzola and maybe a bit of prosciutto

8 Likes

That is a smart buy Clark.

Tony

2 Likes

Yeah, curious where did you got those, look nice.

1 Like

Thats a lot of dates!

1 Like

I do too. My last purchase was 20 pounds of dates :blush:. I do the same with apples and nectarines when I go to orchards, but these go by the bushel. Often times the people at the orchard think I am crazy to get that much fruits… :joy:

1 Like

Where did you get them from? And do you know the collection of varieties that you got?

1 Like

I got the dates from a seller called softmentor on eBay. User rating 100%… I’m now looking for bulk lychee since the season has begun. Açaí powder by the kilo is also interesting to me. I also purchase garlic and other spices bulk. Here is one of the sites I like where many spices are sold by the pound for $7-$8 per pound Bulk Spices | Buy Sausage Spice & Seasoning Blends
The dates are mixed varities. Here are a few seeds to give you an idea.

2 Likes

I would like to buy raw olives in bulk and wet brine or dry salt cure them. Anybody have a reasonably priced source they have used?

1 Like

You will need to wait for olive season and buy directly from one of the many California orchards eg. http://www.chaffinfamilyorchards.com

Yep. I am on their email notification list as of last night! I have been thinking of doing this for a few years but have never checked prices and shipping. I didn’t see any prices on Chaffin’s site since olives are out of season. Just thought in this big forum, someone from east of CA might have ordered and have a good source they would share.

1 Like

I would be interested to know how much they charge for raw olives. My olive trees are 2-4 year old, and they already produce more olives than I can process, so I consider selling some in the future. I have some top-notch table olive varieties like Bella di Cerignola, Itrana (Gaeta), Kalamata, Lucques, Nocellara del Belice (Castelvetrano), Picholine, etc.

Here is a couple of photos of huge Bella di Cerignola olives:

8 Likes

Those are beautiful @Stan

KS, chaffin is where I bought 17 lbs of olives several years ago. It takes 9 months to cure them, and one year to reach peak flavor. They were good but then I discovered I am mildly allergic to them, and gave them to friends.

I do buy nuts in bulk, nuts.com used to be my supplier, high quality, but now I have found a local guy who sells just nuts for cheaper.

1 Like

Stan, those are wonderful looking olives! I will try find out how much Chaffin charges for their olives and let you know. I would be interested in buying some from you in the future if it works out.
@glib- boy that’s too bad you preserved the olives and waited all that time to find out you had an allergy!!! It’s a long process but we love olives and I’d like to try it and see how it goes.

1 Like

by the time I found out, the 17 lbs were down to 6 or 7 lbs.

1 Like

Sams club is where my cranberries, nuts etc. come from. Seems wrong in a way to buy bulk from them. $10-$15 for 2-3 pounds is normal.

I don’t know a thing about the company but I see cheaper dates now available from https://www.ifsbulk.com

** update when I clicked it showed currently unavailable**

I just bulk purchased figs for $13 for 4 pounds from ebay