Bunnies or other animals?

Beer trap.

Place a shallow container full of the cheapest beer you can find in your affected area. The slugs are attracted to in and go in and drown. The beer can then be put back into the garden as fertilizer.

1 Like

Did that in the past, the beer thing. It worked.

@marknmt - not sure I’d like to put salt in soil.

Thank you everyone for chiming in. This could be a place where we could share what work against common pest slugs, pill bugs, to chipmunks, etc.

1 Like

Slugs…
Just a barely visible dusting of pickling lime will fry slugs .
As in my post…

Also I have found that coffee grounds will kill them.
I put some slugs in a jar with used coffee grounds , they were dead in a day .so I spread my grounds where needed.

No, don’t salt your soil - just go out with a salt sprinkler and hit individual slugs. Doesn’t take much.

I generally have a bad aim. I am likely to miss slugs and have a lot of salty strawberries.

@Hillbillyhort I like the idea of using ground coffee. We have Panera bread for free used, ground coffee.

2 Likes

Another option is DE

2 Likes

I have read somewhere that spray Epsom salt can get rid of slugs. But I have never tried this method. I figured that can’t win the battle over
the chipmunks and slugs. I just let them fight for the strawberries without intervening

At that point, why not just collect them and step on them?

I think the same is true for chipmunks as well. At least the ones I have. I’ve seen them running around with berries in their mouths…But, maybe your’s weren’t too hungry.

I see a lot of advice on getting rid of slugs, but getting rid of rabbits and chipmunks is the bigger issue for me. Last year I got a lot of chipmunks with the “wheel-o-death” (bottle with some peanut butter on it, suspended over a bucket of water on a rotating axis. They jump on for the peanut butter, it rotates and they fall into the water).

But I’ve never found any good way to eliminate rabbits. As far as I know, they’ve never gone into the havaheart cage, let alone been trapped. I tried a slingshot (with rocks- I don’t want to fill the yard with metal balls), but I’m not a good enough aim. Years ago, I got one in the behind, but it was able to walk (run) it off, though it probably stung…I’m nowhere near good enough for a kill shot.

2 Likes

Not many animals (particularly bunnies like the smell of herbs. To protect strawberries in a pot I would put around it, pots of basil. I had strawberries.

1 Like