Burchell Nursery - One of the best nectarines I tasted ever! Better than DWN Honey Series

@EDLO oh boy Ed, you really opened a can of worms joining this forum. We sure do love fruit around here :slight_smile: Here come the Q & A’s!

1 Like

Richard, there is a lot that i don’t know and why i search out forums like this to gain knowledge. I am sure that a number of the Burchell Varieties will do well in zone 5. i have already heard of a few that are worth trying. Honey Halo and Snack Time to name a few. I also am sure i heard Freckle Face nectarine mentioned. I am in the process of seeking more feedback from my many friends around the country to see if i can trace some of the more adaptable, more successful varieties. They have been out for many years just not promoted and often not available. Please stay tuned i will make suggestions regularly

1 Like

Well i love and appreciate what you do buddy! I am trying arctic glo nectarine in denver and it seems to have 2 or 3 fruits set on it this year (only 2nd year in ground). Would love to spread out the harvests and will look into those 3 Thank you!

1 Like

What about the other way around please? Any varieties that stand out when you think of very low chill areas in the neighborhood of 150-300h please.

Leave them on the tree till soft ripe, and you will eat a fantastic piece of fruit… three of them :blush:

1 Like

Amen to that. We need more high chill varieties of all stone fruits.

1 Like

I have had real bad Brown Rot on Arctic Glo, watch for it in the spring. Other than that Arctic Glo is one of my favorite nectarine. High Acid almost citrusy with just a perfect amount of sugar.

1 Like

There are some lower chill selections that i have liked this last year. I will have to do a list for the lower chill selection. What kind of fruit would you like?

1 Like

I don’t have a clue, i will talk to Andy when Snack Time is ready at the nursery. If Rapunzel is ripe first then i will compare it to whatever i have ripe at that time. What i do know is that people seem to really like both of them.

1 Like

I am zone 6a central MA. My Freckle Face is 3 yr old. This is the 2nd year in ground. I let it get out of hand and it is 8 ft now.

We had 15F and 17 F in mid March and 31F in mid April. It flowered well.

But fruit set was much lower than what I usually see on my other peach and nectarine trees. Almost no need to thin. What I thinned off were these fruitlets set on tiny twigs that would not be able to carry fruit’s weight anyway.

3 Likes

Sorry Mamuang, i did not see this post. How is the remainder of your Freckle Face set doing this season. With all the heat nectarines are taken a beating either not sizing well or ripening too soon’

We don’t have the heat like you do. Thank goodness. However, this year, temp in 90 started very early ( early June, instead of August).

We also have had rain intermittently so no drought here, either. The nectarines are coming along. My biggest issue is brown rot. This year, I sprayed 3 instead of the usual 2 sprays of fungicide before bagging them. We’ll see if I will be a better result. They don’t ripen until some time in Aug.

2 Likes

Hi Ed any update on snack time vs rapunzel ripening? I was planning to order a couple more trees from burchell/tomorrows harvest but wanted to hear back on this.

Also–any update on when the white knockout apricot might be available again? Had my first 6 fruits this year from it and hands down the best white apricot I’ve tried. Just exceptional flavor and aroma.

1 Like

I am sorry, I think i missed this. The Snack Time and Rapunzel are the same variety. I believe that Andy Mariani calls it Rapunzel and how that happened i have no idea. Ripening time is Mid to late June. The White knockout i think is back in stock. I agree it is one of the best whites and cots that i have had. Sorry of the late response.

Hi Ed,

I could not find any info about rootstocks for trees on tomorrowsharvest. Would you please consider adding the rootstock info on the website?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi Stan, I have to apologize for not getting more aggressive about posting rootstocks. This Season the Peaches and Nectarines will be on Lovell and Nemaguard. In 2023 I will be adding many varieties on the Guardian rootstock in 2023, I am considering more on Krymsk 86 as well. For now the peaches and nectarines are on Lovel and nemaguard, the Apricots and Plums on Myro 29c and citations. All apples are on M7. hope that helps.

6 Likes

Thank you very much for the quick response! For me, the difference between Myro 29c and Citation is very significant — in vigor, growth habit, and survival rate. Is there any way to know which rootstock I might get if ordering online?

I also noticed that many retail nurseries in my area (San Joaquin county, CA) are supposed to sell Burchell trees. Do you know when they will receive Burchell bareroot trees for the 2022 bareroot season? Also, will labels on Burchell bareroot trees sold via retail have the rootstock name on them?

I think that the only variety on Myro 29c is the prunes.
The retailers will begin to receive their bare root trees in January. The labels do have the rootstock name on them.

2 Likes

Hi Girly. I’m on a similar hunt for the Rapunzel nectarine. After growing it, can you confirm that the Honey Halo is indeed the same as Andy’s Rapunzel? Thanks for the bread crumb trail. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @christygarner

I can confirm that Rapunzel = SnackTime. You can get the tree here -
Snack Time Nectarine Tree » Store » Tomorrow’s Harvest by Burchell Nursery (tomorrowsharvest.com)

Honey Halo is also available at the same nursery and is another yellow donut nectarine equally good
Honey Halo Nectarine Tree » Store » Tomorrow’s Harvest by Burchell Nursery (tomorrowsharvest.com)

SnackTime (a.k.a Rapunzel) harvest is around Fathers Day for me and Honey Halo is 45 days after that.

Good Luck!

6 Likes