Burnt Ridge Nursery warning

I got scammed on Amazon about a year ago and even informed them of it and they refused to do anything about it. Someone was ordering packages to my house using my credit card. I contacted Amazon about it a lot of times and even offered to return the products for a refund since I had they product. They simply told me to talk to my credit card company and file a charge since whoever was buying the items was doing so on another account. I am not sure why they were buying items on my card and shipping to me in the first place but Amazon was clearly not supportive on my endeavor. Even after my card was canceled Amazon was sending me emails stating someone attempted to order something over 3 times. I was like I know and that is why I have been contacting you idiots. The IT parts of the business are just there to support the business. They only comply once a dispute is filed with the credit card or PayPal and that is only to protect their butt legally.

1 Like

I would hardly call places like EBay, Etsy or Craigslist big in terms of sellers. They are big companies but the sellers are small on there for the most part. That is a issue on itself. I have sold quality items on craigslist but there are also scammers and robbers on those sites. Everyone on both sides knows they have to be protective or get scammed. Ebay I got scammed twice as a buyer. First time I was trying to get a newer cell phone for my mother for Christmas because she wanted a phone that could connect to her hearing aids and her hearing aids only connected to something like the 7 and up in terms of iPhones. The seller ended up sending us used eye shadow instead of a iPhone X. The second time I bought a Balsam Hill Christmas collar on Ebay. All I got was a note saying “Thank You For Your Purchase” with tracking. The second one I did not pay with credit card so I got to spend all Christmas dealing with a PayPal dispute. Luckily I thought to take pictures of the note, the envelope and I work at USPS so I knew the service they used would only go up to 13 ounces being first class package service and I could compare the weight on Balsam hill website. Both of those cases Ebay started with saying try to work it out with the seller for 2 weeks and contact us again afterwords if not resolved. That is the issue many people face with small sellers. You can get something good or you can get something bad. The best thing you can do is order from places that are already well loved. Nurseries for example are One Green World, Burnt Ridge (though I have never gotten a product from them), Raintree, Trees Of Antiquity etc. All those are well known on here and have provided me with good product with the exception on Raintree which some of those trees were dead on arrival but most were good.

2 Likes

I also just had my credit card info stolen; the card I used for BR but didn’t receive an e-mail from them. Maybe I’ll get one in the coming days.

Generally, every company is getting hacked eventually. I do not use my debit card for purchases online. Credit cards should have a $50 limit to liability but in reality it is $0 since they never try to collect.

Since Equifax already leaked almost the entire populations personal details, the change of one credit card to a new number is of limited impact to my daily life.

Virtual credit card numbers are supported by a number of credit card companies. The negative is though they state a limit for dollars and time against the virtual card these are not always enforced. If a web site does not show as secured, I would not submit my card number in any event.

2 Likes

was there a way for you to see which the credit card you used?

i also used paypal so are you saying if i used paypal they wouldnt have access to my CC?

That’s right – only PayPal has access to the cc info when you use PayPal on a third-party website

2 Likes

The only purchase I made from them in that time period was paid with by paypal.

Might I recommend Privacy.com? It’s a website/app that creates virtual credit cards. You can link it to one purchase, or one vendor and put a limit on it. When I order from these places, I set the card so that it can only be used there and put a limit of the total amount with some extra to cover shipping and tax. That way even if the number gets stolen, they can’t put any more on it.

My card number got snatched a few years ago, and I’ve used it ever since. That way they can keep the virtual card online and n0t have access to my bank account or true credit card info…

5 Likes

Good point about using PayPal (or Apple Pay if you have Apple). I usually just feed in the CC since it is fastest (I have an auto-fill thing) but will try to do more PayPal. I never save CC with vendors but that doesn’t necessarily help. One of my cards has the ability to create separate numbers like that privacy.com site, but it’s too much work for me.

1 Like

“you can delegate authority, but you can’t delegate responsibility” - as a consumer, you don’t deal with someone’s vendor, you deal with the retailer, who is responsible

3 Likes

This is sad, as the nursery is trying to provide a service at a reasonable rate. I do understand that it was their vender that was compromised, but to z0r’s point, the one who took the CC info (BurntRidge) is the responsible party for the issue. In today’s internet, you cannot have an e-commerce environment without some kind of IT department to vet the vendors and keep your client’s data safe. Sadly, that means another salary to pay, which leads to higher prices.
Even the idea of, well they should just use paypal, or google pay, incurs a cost to the seller. For standard CC transactions, Pay Pal charges the seller 3.49% + $0.49, this drops to 2.99% + $0.49 if the seller accepts a direct pay pal transfer. Google and Amazon’s rates didn’t show up immediately, but they still are not free.

After saying all that, i am torn. Yes, i feel Burnt Ridge should be held responsible to anyone impacted. But as a small company whose vender was the one that caused the incident, i don’t want to villainize them either. Hopefully, they will come out with policies and procedures to prevent this in the future.

I remember at the start of this year, the fortune 100 that i work for had our Cyber insurance rate greatly increased. When we tried to go back and say look at all of these things we have done to reduce risk and increase security. They simply told us; just be glad you are one client we are not simply dropping.
IT Security is a scary world.

4 Likes

Wrote an e-mail to BR to have them remove any stored info on me and to let them know my card was stolen two years in a row. They sent me a response explaining how it was not their fault and they will remove my info. No apology. Only it’s not our fault. It may not be your fault, but if I had never shopped there it would never have happened. That return e-mail left a bitter taste. If it were me I would have been handing out % off coupons with the apology, not just screaming it’s not our fault. I own a business and trust me customers do not give a crap who’s fault it is.

4 Likes

Sorry to hear about the OP credit card info being stolen. It is getting harder and harder to keep from getting your information hacked. Good information about some ways to try and help from getting hacked.
I think anyone that hacks into your information, hacks into your computer info, and hacking into any of your banking accounts should be put into prison FOREVER. Just my honest opinion. They have ruined so many people’s lives by trying to have to clean up a mess they never created.

4 Likes

In 2017 the Equifax credit rating firm got hacked by Chinese actors–147 million people’s names, addresses, social security numbers, dates of birth and such other sensitive information is potentially in the hands of bad people.

It seems this information hasn’t been exploited much, but it’s out there in somebody’s computer files on the other side of the globe.

You’d think a credit rating agency might have the most secure system there is…and yet it got hacked.

5 Likes

Some former hackers now are employed by some of the largest software and social media companies in the world. They mostly were the ‘hobbyists’ doing it for fun. But a data breach isn’t fun for the person that had their data fall into wrong hands.

1 Like

I had to replace my seldom-used credit card about that time after ordering from BR. I guess I will just use checks more for no-rush purchases from now on. Actually, I already have more plants than I can keep up with now, so need to stop lusting for more.

5 Likes

And the worst part was they didn’t lose the credit rating business after that mess. They paid a pittance in penalties and provided credit monitoring for a year or two for data that is forever compromised. Once they made their agreement their stock price shot up and everyone who failed their customers made out like… uhh bandits.

Anyway I don’t recall which card I used with them last year but will have to watch for any extra charges.

2 Likes

David from Century Farms orchard has switched to payment through Zelle. That works well for me.

3 Likes

I got my email today. I don’t really blame them. the US credit card system is set up in a way that consumers have basically no risk from fraudulent charges, and you can expect your cards to be compromised every few years by some thing or another. I figure they just used a typical vendor with typical outcomes, maybe I’ll cancel the card, or just watch it more closely, but either way it doesn’t cost me anything.

4 Likes