Burnt Ridge vs Raintree? Who to order from

Like I mentioned I don’t like to buy plants from these websites. For plants or anything that can be heavily delayed to see results I buy from online nursery that are heavily mentioned in gardening boards like this. I look for people with a lot of reviews when buying. With most people with those websites most good reviews are 5 star reviews. One or two reviews are not very good news. I have found pictures can be deceiving. I have seen many pictures and even descriptions where there is a detail on an ornament that I could not see very well. For example I got an ornament that was a needlepoint Santa and Rudolph with a sleigh on Etsy. The description stated it had a spot on it that looked like glue on Santa’s beard. You could not notice that detail on the pictures. Things can be framed in such a way to not be as easily seen like that. I have bought a deer ornament that states it is 8 inches and gotten a ornament that looks normal on my tree and I have bought a needlepoint ornament that while pretty and has a bunch of different pictures depending on the angle you look at it the ornament looks like a soccer ball despite them claiming it was 8 inches. That is what I have struggled with on Etsy. People will post a size and the sizes have been inconsistent to what is actually the true size.

1 Like

I have done all of these. I used to buy and sell a lot on eBay when it first started out. I also sold things on Amazon when they first started, now I just buy (and get “free” Prime shipping, since one of my sons pays for that service). I’ve actually only bought one thing from Etsy, bocking 14 comfery roots, that was 4-5 years ago. The transaction was seamless. The roots were great and I have since split them and planted them other places.

1 Like

I used to buy a lot from Ebay. It used to be my premier site for buying things cheap and introduced me to PayPal when it first came out. Amazon I buy some stuff from there but try to avoid it. Amazon is just as pricey as the store if not more so I only look on amazon if it is not something I get from the store that is new. Amazon is great if you have prime but is very slow if you don’t have prime. I already pay 120 a year for Costco membership and do not want to pay for prime. Like I said they are not any cheaper than in store anyway. Like I said Ebay seems to have more scammers that are selling. I have never had an issue with Etsy. I wonder if Etsy tries to vet their sellers more?

1 Like

I sold some of my daughter’s used textbooks and got good money, then I went on vacation and Amazon discontinued my account for whatever reason. So now I just donate my books to Good Will.

1 Like

I hear of that happening quite a bit. I have had two Amazon accounts because one I accidentally signed up for prime when signing up to read a book online. I called Amazon to cancel the subscription and the rep said she canceled it for me. Turned out the Amazon rep lied when she said she canceled it. I never paid it so they suspended my old account. I made a new email and making a new account was possible with that email. Problem solved. They don’t do anything cross accounts because they cannot really prove it is the same person living at the same address or more than one person may live at that address and they have two accounts. I had someone ordering items to my house using my own credit card on Amazon and despite me having the items and being willing to return them as well as it being my card because it was not my account they said there was nothing I could do. Again all you need is a new email to make another account and they will not question things at all it seems.

1 Like

So, have you figured out yet? Burnt Ridge or Raintree?

2 Likes

I just decided to order from both! :laughing:

2 Likes

I sold my children’s text books on ebay and also Half Price Books store.

3 Likes

We used to have Halfpricebooks store in the Bay Area, but I’m not aware of any down here.

They are in my area and I have used them quite a bit. I think they under cut the prices they give you but at least you can get rid of some books you do not need. It saves you the hassle of trying to post them and sell them yourself. We have another couple of book stores here that buy used books besides the bigger name ones, like Half Price Books.

1 Like

I did some googling but nothing in my area, what a shame. The nearest place is Phoenix, AZ.

Book stores are going away over time. Only pure book store I know of here by me is borders and boarders egg ones not buy books as far as I am aware. I am sure any store buying books back will short you. When I traded in my Samsung s20 a few years back for the iPhone 12 mini they gave me 300 or 400 dollars but I could have sold it for 700 or 800 myself

1 Like

I’m sure they will. I’m giving mine away for free.

ive had good luck so far from ebay and esty. if you are cautious, you wont get scammed. craigslist though is chock full of scammers. ive had friends and family get scammed on there. i dont buy anything on there. ive got seedlings of things like hot peppers for as low as $1.50 off of Esty with free shipping if you order a certain amount. its nice because if its something that takes a long time to grow out, a started seedling saves you the time and space starting them indoors here. like hirts they are generally small starts but you get alot for what you’re paying.

1 Like

I bought a Toona Sinensis a few years back on Etsy. It came in with a taproot that literally looked like a brown carrot, no fine roots or anything at all.

It grew wonderfully and is due for a repotting due to getting too large.

I also rarely ever have luck with seeds off of Etsy or Ebay. i’ve been looking for Spicebush seeds or seedlings lately, though

Scott

2 Likes

While I did take a chance and buy the bocking 14 comfery from Esty, I don’t usually look for seeds or other plants there or on ebay (unless I know the seller). The Esty seller in question was a long time seller and had at least a thousand good reviews. They were also only selling a few kinds of plants. I felt comfortable with taking a chance.

Speaking of looking for ______. I just posted under another thread looking for short season cassava. If you know where I can find someone who’s selling that, please head over to that thread and help me out! :slight_smile:

Pollinize. The bees generally do the pollination.

1 Like

Try either Cold Stream Farm or Musser Forest for spicebush seedlings. No minimum order.

3 Likes

I’ve had OK luck with Stark’s. I picked up UoS B/B/B and a Strawberry Sensation honeyberries, a pink lady apple tree (probably a mistake, needs treatment for mildew and Marsolonnia or whatever leaf spot), a Neptune grape, and a bareroot Honeysweet pear (that went in in November, so it hasn’t leafed out). The helpful people who mow the lawn weedwacked the Boreal Blizzard plant (and it’s nursery name tag) and Stark’s was willing to replace it knowing it wasn’t their fault. It came back despite being cut like two inches from the ground.

Etsy, obviously depends on the random person you’re dealing with, but I got a Florida Rose blueberry (still too young to know if its true to type) that went from three waify six inch twigs lined with leaves to a 12-15" bush over the coarse of the summer. Seller was selling stuff that would make sense to be growing in the SE. Pink Lemonade is supposed to do fine here, so I’ll see.

I like fedco and burnt ridge depending on who has what. I’ve ordered several oddities from Etsy with no problem, but I look through the low star reviews to see what issues there may be (I ignore the “seller was slow” etc as long as there’s good reviews that say “great communication”).

my Arabica trees and pretty Meyer lemons came cheaply through Etsy. I also did have a nice pair of bananas but they only lived a year in the hot house before getting mushy. I still want to try to get any bananas here just out of sheer stubbornness. (my figs and olives are making it in the hothouse so I assume it’s potentially possible)

1 Like