BYOC question for trees breaking dormancy

Thanks to all the advice here and DWN’s Youtube channel, all the new trees I planted were lopped off at knee height. All but one have come out of dormancy and I can see nice low branching which can become the future scaffolds. I have a question about the crotch angle and thinning the shoots at this time. Here is the Cot-N-Candy aprium with new shoots

The top 4 shoots arose out of two buds (or 2 shoots per bud position). They are quite close to each other. Its more clear from this top-down view

When these shoot develop into scaffolding branches, would they be too close to each other, causing the bark to crack? Given that I have shoots sprouting up below them, should I pinch one of them in each bud position to allow for more spacing between future branches? Let me know what you think.

1 Like

I would keep only one shoot out of each pair. For the 3rd scaffold, the shoot that grows directly towards you on the first photo seems like a good candidate. Lower shoots can be removed to save the energy.

1 Like

do yo usually aim for 3 or 4 scaffolds (position them in each direction and at different heights) and remove the rest?

2 Likes

Yes, those will be your main scaffolds for an open-center shaped tree.

2 Likes