Calamondin blooming

so i bought this plant from TSC back in april. i potted it into a 5 gal. pot and grew it indoors until the beg of june then brought it into the green house. we’ve been getting very warm for us weather. last month i gave it a few scoops of citrus fertilizer. it put on 6 in. of new growth and has 6 blooms on it. is this normal for this bush to be fruiting at such a young age? its probably 16in. tall and wide.

2 Likes

Well moose, I don’t see how we could possibly answer that without seeing the pictures (hint, hint)!

:-)M

calamondins are quite precocious, either as 6" tall airlayers or as grafts(as long as the graft or airlayer was obtained from a mature specimen).

give it as much sun as there is available and it may even multi-crop for you. They make good zests, having a milder tang compared to limes and lemons.

1 Like

I have many citrus plants but not Calamondin. The ones at nurseries have so many fruits and they are sour so I know I don’t have much use for it, but the fruits and the trees are beautiful. I never can predict what happens to the trees. Enjoy the flowers and don’t worry. If they don’t set fruit this time, they will when you do not expect.

1 Like

The fruit is typically used as a flavoring agent in other drinks, or in baking.
Commercial calamondin drinks are 6% to 10% juice.

1 Like

I’ve heard that small citrus should not be allowed to set fruit. They need to grow roots instead for the first year or two. I think they treat the ones in the nursery with gibberilic acid to force blooms. D

One fruit per 30 leaves will not affect growth.

2 Likes

Good to know. Thanks.

Not calamondin,
But I have a procimequat , 2yrs old from seed, that had 2 blooms , one set a tiny fruit. ~16 inches tall.
Amazingly precocious for citrus.
Ripe fruit smaller than a dime , easily fit in say ,a beer bottle.
Come true from seed.

2 Likes

i also have a kumquat i bought at the same time, planted in the same soil but it only put out a few new leaves.

1 Like

I would like some procimequat seeds. Where did you get them?

@Vlad
Procimequate

I got the seed from a fruit off another tree I have , ( had)
Don’t remember the original source. ( maybe woodlanders ? )
That tree was small and productive for several years ,
But suddenly died. Luckily I have a back up , grafted to a larger root stock, putting on lots of growth, but I only see one small fruit right now.
I will send you some seed when I get some.

@hillbillyhort, thank you.

1 Like