Callery pear actually Dogwood

Did it bear fruit and does it bloom? It may be something that’s close enough. The bark reminds me of hawthorne but the leaves are wrong for the ones I’ve seen. This is another reason I asked about the thorns https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGB9Do-IEv8&ebc=ANyPxKrhmJlN2mEyT12PK2MLzrksZhid2NSoRZ9c0TE3eCyTmoh12qbxD-IlY5YLlzLrwkGItgTQzGRixYk9LRzNWaovuHbSBw. It occurred to me #2 is likely a cockspur hawthorn which would be a good possibility for rootstock if i’m right about what it is. Those thorns and buds are pretty characteristic of hawthorn. Google hawthorn buds and spend some time looking at them but I think i’m right. The problem is there are lots of hawthorn types so it’s hard for me to identify them since they do not grow here. Hawthorn and pear can be compatible in many cases but not always.I know I was holding out on you a bit but a friend told me he grafted to hawthorne several years ago. I still can’t be sure. I’m sure you know but #3 is definitely dogwood buds. I may need to hit up @Lucky_P for some help with this one since the hawthorne trees don’t grow around here. Lucky can likely help and will remember this old thread http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/1454251/anyone-ever-successfully-grafted-pear-scion-onto-an-apple-tree

thanks for the info. Will be interesting to see what the leaves look like. Of course if I let them leaf out fully I’ll likely miss my grafting window. Not a huge deal though. I bought the home in August so I never got to see the trees bloom. Honestly I’m can’t even remember what the leaves look like.

I know nothing about hawthorn trees. Was not aware of them growing in this area. I watched your video link along with some other YouTube vids and it appears it’s the official tree of hippies. Lol. Lots of holistic medicine talk. One girl even said she used hawthorn to cast magical spells . Haha. What do the berries taste like?

1 Like

I know very little about them since they dont grow here. The only reason i know anything about them at all is i looked into using them as an interstem to dwarf pears at one point and found better methods. If anyone wants to know more on hawthorn I would get this book http://www.amazon.com/Hawthorns-Medlars-Horticultural-Society-Collectors/dp/0881925918/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1457294592&sr=1-1&keywords=Hawthorns+and+Medlars

Is it pushing any growth yet? Be nice if you had some hawthorn Crataegus crus-galli - Wikipedia . If common hawthorn turn up somewhere on the property it might save you years of growing rootstocks Crataegus monogyna - Wikipedia. Could also see this one Crataegus douglasii - Wikipedia. Any of those and many others would be very beneficial for you to find.

The buds on #2 look very much like the buds on my mayhaw, which is a kind of hawthorn, so hawthorn seems like a very good guess to me. The thorns don’t look anything like what I’m used to seeing on honey locusts. I think what’s distinctive about honeylocust thorns is that multiple thorns come out of the same point, hence the specific name triacanthos.

I don’t have any guesses on #1, but I’m very curious what it is.

1 Like

A friend a short distance away said he heard a rumor of wild hawthorn growing close to here. We will check it out as soon as the location is confirmed.

I took a few additional pictures of the thorny tree today. I do not think it’s honey locust based on the thorn type. I see no thorn clusters. It still shows no signs of bud break. Very small little round buds. The Bradford and Cleveland pears in my neighborhood are in full bloom right now. God it stinks.

The bark makes me think hawthorn . You can try pear or apple on it . They say it works . I will be trying to top work one this year to pear .

1 Like

It is a hawthorn. (no ‘e’ unless you’re talking about Nathaniel).

I have grafted a number of pears onto cockspur hawthorn understock.

2 Likes

Thanks @Lucky_P I knew you would know. I thought it was Hawthorn @speedster1 and now that you know you for sure thanks to Lucky you have a fantastic rootstock for some serious pear grafting! That will take awhile to top work but with any luck you will be eating that fruit in 2-3 years.

1 Like

Thanks guys. Any benefits to leaving it a hawthorn? Does it produce fruits that are usable?

Now I’m really wondering about the first trees I posted. It’s clearly not a dogwood, clearly now a hawthorn, and now that my neighbors Bradford and Clevelands are in full bloom and my trees are still dormant I guess I can scratch callery off the list. I’ll post more pics of it when it leafs out.

1 Like

Graft most of it as quick as you can. I’m told that not all pears are compatible but @Lucky_P could give you some pointers . If you leave some as Hawthorn you might want to read this http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/hawthorn.

After waiting for the buds to pop they finally have sprung. And it surely is hawthorn. Although it doesn’t look like thee leaves that I googled for cockspur hawthorn.

Any ideas what variety?

Here is the tree being the flowering dogwood

1 Like

Maybe downy hawthorn.

1 Like

So the only tree from my original set of pics that hasn’t been identified was tree #1. Here are a few new pics I took showing a small leaf and some type of bloom associated with the tree. Can anyone identify this?

Bump for trying to identify the tree in the above picture

Are the branches of tree #1 especially perpendicular to the trunk?

1 Like

Actually yes they are mostly perpendicular to the trunk. What do you think it is? The fall foliage from this tree is brilliant dark burgundy red.

Blackgum (Nyssa sylvatica)??

1 Like

Yes Floyd! I think that is what I have. That is a tree I’m not familiar with. We have sweet gum here and it’s easily recognizable. But this is the first I’ve seen of black gum.

As mentioned the foliage is beautiful in fall. And right now I don’t mind the size. But sounds like they can grow a little larger than I’d like.