Campfield Apple

Nice looking apple.

1 Like

Theyre pretty flavorless. There are hints of good apple flavour in the background. I can see why perhaps it would make a cider blending apple. This was its first year, weā€™ll see what next year brings.

3 Likes

Mine are not quite ripe but, I didnā€™t taste much flavor when I sampled one last week. Harrisonā€™s quality and flavor seems to have improved this year now that the trees are a little more mature.

2 Likes

My Harrisonā€™s havent fruited yet. How big do they get? I have Granniwinkle too. If itā€™s true to type it is a very early apple and tasteless.

My Harrisons in California were the size of a lunch apple. The most vigorous tree I have grown, got about a bushel of apples in the 4th year.

1 Like

Do you have any Harrison pictures? All Iā€™ve seen is stock photos. Is it an apple you can eat? Or purely for cider? Would you recommend thinning them?

1 Like

I donā€™t have a picture myself, but below is how they looked like. They turn yellow when ripe. The flesh is dense and dry, so not great for fresh eating, but you could. The apple are on the small side, but I would thin them out when the tree is young (where you want vegetative growth to dominate) and probable some when it comes to full bearing, just not nearly as much as with full size apples. I try to have not too many apples that touch each other, because in the space where they touch you get more of a problem with coddling moths.

3 Likes

the picture above is from Wylder Trees.

I like eating them fresh, they are very sweet and flavorful. They donā€™t have any crunch at all but I wouldnā€™t call them dry.

Actually, found a picture of mine:

Harrison apples. Fresh cider was very good, I did not ferment them because I had to move, sold the second house with orchard to people who probably neglect the trees and pull them out. Starting fresh in Florida now first year (I planted a Harrison again, amongst others).

5 Likes

I have one Harrison and one Campfield tree growing on Antonovka and MM111 respectively. While the Harrison is pretty vigorous, the Campfield has been even more vigorous, but itā€™s growing close to a ditch so it probabaly gets a lot more water than my other trees. Both are about 5 years old, Campfield is yet to bloom and Harrison produced 3 apples this year. I picked one of them mid-Sept and it was still a little under-ripe, but measured about 15 brix on my refractometer. I thought it was pretty tasty, though had a good amount of acid. Iā€™m sure it would taste sweeter and better once fully ripe, so definitely potential for eating and baking. I should have left the other two apples on the tree to compare later in the season, but instead just threw them in my one batch of cider this year since most of my other apples had already been picked weeks before and were ready for pressing. Even though itā€™s a miniscule amount, kind of cool to be able say there is Harrison in there, haha.

4 Likes

I know its long ago. But wondering if you ever planted all those Campfield and how they turned out? I only got to sample two last year from my tree. First impression from my yard: meh.

Last year was my first year fruiting Campfield. Very unimpressive apple. Also very early apple for me. If many of the extinct apples were similar itā€™s no wonder they went by the wayside.

Campfield on P.18 (grafted in 2018) will bloom for its first time this year, itā€™s a nicely structured tree. Campfield on M.111 has been a problem for me, 2 died and the third is very weak. I have 5 Harrison on B.118 grafted in 2018, two of which may bloom this spring. Another 3 Harrison on M.111 all look to be ready to put a few blooms out this spring. The Harrison are all vigorous, but more so on the M.111, and theyā€™re such upright trees, I hope to bend some branches down this season. I grafted 3 Graniwinkle to B.118 this spring as well.

Did you ever find an answer to the question?

Cummins lists it at USDA zones 4 - 8.

Yes and no. I havenā€™t checked to see if Fedco has Campfield now, I suspect they do. In 2018 I grafted 3 Campfield to P.18, 2 died, one has grown reasonably well and will bloom for its first season in 2024. 3 grafted to M.111 failed, were regrafted and I think one was successful, but the tree is tiny, and I regrafted 2 more on M.111 this spring. It hasnā€™t been an easy tree for me, unlike Harrison, although Harrison has its other challenges with its upright growth habit and crazy vigor. Iā€™m not seeing cold hardiness issues with Campfield, but for me itā€™s been difficult to establish.

Iā€™ve got Harrison on G-11. It is very vigorous and upright. No blossoms year 4.

Pomiferous.com lists Campfield as Zone 5 in hardiness, ripening late. Some of the info on Pomiferous is not totally correct but they present a lot that seems hard to find elsewhere, at least for me.

Thatā€™s not Campfield, it is late.

Campfield is very vigorous for me, almost like a triploid, and takes several more years than Harrison to fruit reliably. Iā€™ve not had too many samples but so far it doesnā€™t compare to Harrison, it doesnā€™t have a lot of flavor.

Sadly, I have found too many errors in Pomiferous to trust it without another source to confirm it.