Can anyone identify this plant?

Sure looks like that’s right! Which would mean I was giving false credit to the birds when I should’ve been thanking the wind.

1 Like

This plant overwintered in my flower bed. I don’t recall I have planted it. Maybe from one of many seeds that i scattered. It looks like it is going to flower this year. Can anyone identify this plant for me?Thanks

1 Like

foxglove? You’ll know in a few weeks if it flowers.

2 Likes

I agree it looks like foxglove, which I’ve been on a mission to eradicate from my yard after my toddler almost ate one of the flowers. It’s very toxic, apparently, though the flowers are pretty. From Wikipedia:

Good to know. I like to have foxglove to grow at that spot. Thanks @danzeb @swincher

1 Like

It is readily seeds and germinates on it’s own.

@IL847

Here is a site to use for comparison Foxglove

1 Like

one of the first heart medications.

Foxglove plants produce heart medicine. Can science do it better? (phys.org)

1 Like

I have a mulberry growing right beside a cherry tree as well. The birds planted it there a couple years ago, along with red & black berries which I weeded out.

I was weed whacking in the field and came across this purple leaf seedling. I never seen anything resembling this at my property. Honeysuckle, Guilaumin, or Avacado?

Looks like a persimmon.

I do think it resembled persimmon, but I never seen purple leaves on such. The leaves are fairly big. If the leaves weren’t purple, I would have just took it for milkweed or dogbane, which is what it is growing amongst.

It’s persimmon. Red/purple foliage is common at leaf-out for juvenile plants of several species, including persimmon.

Interesting, I’ll keep an eye out on it. Would love the opportunity to graft on it. Thanks @NativBill1 and @Lucky_P

Deer abound in my property and it’s possible it left a “present” after consuming wild persimmon in the abutting forest.

I’ll take a closer look tomorrow. Persimmon have a distinctive buds between the leaf petiole and branch.