Can anyone identify this plant?

They all look like Apricot.bb

Fairly sure these are apricots…

Brady, fruitfruit, thanks a lot. Now, I got two new apricot rootstock that I can graft next year, wonderful

1 Like

Another plant,I have several of them in the yard, looks like some kind of mustard, but I can’t recongnize the leaves. I thought it is a garlic mustard initially but garlic mustard has white flowers.
It is blooming, I need to either get rid of it or keep it before it spread million of seeds.
So what is the name of this volunteer plant? A keeper or else?

1 Like

May be yellow rocket

2 Likes

Thanks. I think you are right . It may not be a good veggie but bee loves it so I will keep it for a while longer.

1 Like

White mulberry.

I see thess growing at a house in the neighborhood that I take my daily walk . I have seen these two plants for past three years, grow in same place, in same fashion ever summer(they can grow real tall up to the roof). I have never got chance to ask the neighbor. But I am very curious to know what are these plants? Can any one identity for me?

Looks like a Blackberry or Raspberry.

That would be hops

6 Likes

Plant #1 is a pear.

seconded, hops. Thats the sort of neighbor you need to get to know.

6 Likes

Have this growing up the side of my house but have never grown anything that resembles it. Anybody have a guess?

The leaves look sort of like Moon Flower (Ipomoea) , a member of the Morning Glory family.

1 Like

I have an urban tree mystery. I spotted this specimen with fruits on it near my office. It’s almost certainly in the apple/pear/hawthorn/sorbus branch of Rosaceae. 20’-30’ tall, glossy leaves. Small fruits (small grape size) held singly, mostly at top of canopy, ripen to red. Fruit is tough, dry, and mealy, not sweet, with a hint of apple background flavor. The flesh forms an open sphere around 3 large, ridged, tan seeds.

Here’s the whole tree:

A close up of the bark:

Close up of fruit and leaves:

Close up of twigs and buds:

Open fruit with seeds:

Fruit and seeds again on 0.5 cm grid:

And one more showing the skin of the fruit I picked. The fruits way up in the canopy were bright red.

1 Like

Everything about it says ‘hawthorn’ to me. Which one? IDK…

2 Likes

That was my first thought, but I’m used to seeing hawthorne with fruits in clusters. I’m guessing there are some that don’t follow this pattern?

The mayhaws (C.aestivalis, C.opaca, and others) I have don’t fruit in clusters… but, as their name implies, they’re ripe in late spring.
Richard Fahey (Oxford NY) used to offer a ‘Cherry Hawthorn’ selection from his CHM nursery, but I don’t recall much about it, or when it ripened. Rolling River Nursery had Cherry Hawthorn in its offerings at one time… don’t know if they still do - or if they’re even in existence any more.
I’m getting old…

1 Like

This seedling came up in soil reused from the garden, where birds left seed presents when they shared my cherry tomatoes and ground cherries. I kept it because at first I thought it had a Ribes-y look to it, but now I’m not so sure. Any thoughts?

This is in a suburban yard in Seattle, and people grow all kinds of things around here, in case that helps with the ID.

I am thinking a Birch tree ?

1 Like