Can fireblight affect apples(fruit)?

I have an apple tree that happens to be very prone to fireblight. There are several young shoots now affected on a small size tree. I noticed today that few apples seems to be affected too, is it possible? There is no any damage on the skin of the apple, all the damage is inside. The tree is under net, so no insects as well.

2 Likes

Galina,
I don’t know but this article described what fruit affected by fire blight looked like.

3 Likes

Looking forward to seeing the answers. Good question.

From previous posting. I prune fb out as soon as I see it. In most cases I actually break it out and later clean up the rough surface. If the variety persist on being a problem normally I remove it completely. Someone else will need to address the fruit damage.

When In Doubt, Prune it Out

If you see these symptoms, you should cut out and destroy the infected tissues. If you see a shoot that looks infected, look for the portion of the limb where the infected brown tissue meets the healthy green tissue. You should cut at least 18 inches back into the healthy tissue

3 Likes

I know it is fire blight on the shoots. Not sure how to remove them without cutting of almost ready apples. The new shoots affected grow right from the branch that has apples an the affected shoot is brown from top to the hosting branch. By the rules I need to remove them both. I guess I will have to remove the whole tree - it is very affected. But I want to get the apples first.

1 Like

I would also get the apples first.

Looks like it is fire blight on the apple. That probably means I have to remove this tree - those bad apples grow on the branches that do not show any symptoms and do not have affected new shoots growing from them. It probably means infection is everywhere already and just not all branches are showing it yet. Yes, this year is too wet, but every year here is humid. If that would be a repeated case, no point to keep the tree. I will have to cut off half of the dwarf tree every year. Also, the apples(Korichnoe Polosatoe) are not exactly to my expectation - I guess it is to hot for them here, much hotter then it was back home where I liked them.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that you will need to part way with this variety.

I think in general, orchardists would remove their infected flowers before they would develop into fruit. You have the opportunity to have the fruit fully developed, then, infected.

Your pics of fire blight affected apples are unusual. Glad you posted them.

2 Likes

The interesting thing, they didn’t looked infected a week ago, they just turn brown now…

sorry to hear about your apple tree… i hope you could minimize or stop the spread with pruning

the part of the apple(or pear) that we eat is actually specialized stem tissue(hypanthium). Per plant histologists, the “actual” fruit is the well-delineated interior(containing the seeds) which is the true fruit(ripened ovary). Sadly, as demonstrated in the photo, the apple part that we eat(being a stem) is just as prone to infection as regular stems. The actual fruit seems to be shielded somewhat by the fibrous fruit rind

1 Like