Can somebody recommend good rat traps?

Is this is the one you talking about?
Snap-E Rat Trap

Yep, that’s the one. They also have a smaller mouse-size one.

You can see pictures in this thread Getting ready for winter- so are the varmints! of how to use the tomcat trap I posted the link for. The victor type traps caught 1 rat to every 10 traps. The tomcat caught 5 rats for 5 traps 100% until the traps walked off. I think I need to drill a hole for a small chain and screw them down. They never miss!

Thanks, All!

I see that Gempler’s has a rat-sized battery trap. I’ve used these in the mouse size and they do actually work

Victor has a trap that’s like the Tomcat one, but it’s $3.14 at Home Depot. I’ve been using them lately because you can open them up (to drop the dead rat out) without touching the snap bar.

I’ve been catching rats with snap traps for many years. Peanut butter always works, and I sometimes use roasted peanuts . Although rats are definitely smarter than squirrels, and I’ve especially noticed that when they get caught in my havaheart traps…but unless they go to rat school when they’re young, they’ve probably never seen a rat trap before. And all they know is the delicious smell of peanuts means dinner is served. What would make them smarter would be a near miss from a snap trap. Those would be the hardest ones to catch.

1 Like

You might want to look at this thread of one of the rats I caught that I took a picture of which was over a foot long using a tomcat trap Rodent control - #18 by clarkinks. Kansas rodents look very healthy from eating grain all summer in the fields. They are very intelligent and work in groups. Consider @Sam method for inside a shed it’s highly effective but this time of year it will not work because water freezes.

I came across an interesting tip. If you have rats and can locate their burrows, dry ice is very effective and will clear all residents out in a single treatment. It can be found for about $5 for 5 lbs. You put the dry ice in the holes and seal them, it turns into carbon dioxide which is heavier and goes down the holes. The rats, usually asleep during the day simply go permanently asleep.

3 Likes

@LoveThoseTrees

My Kansas rats have multiple exits in case a snake shows up. They like to exit in brush or underneath something so the exit is hard to locate. If you want to save money run a pipe from your exhaust into the hole. Carbon monoxide is effective. Pack rats nest is above ground usually in a thorny thicket of brush like blackberries. They build nest readily inside the shed sleep inside. Friends regularly burn the nest or shoot them causing the rats to exit. Best control is large snakes.

1 Like