Can this year fig branches be use?

I guess you could. Did thinning new growth a couple of weeks ago, cut a couple pieces 8” long and stuck them in an container growing lemongrass. Did not do anything else.

3 Likes

Sure you can use them. Normally I do not plant them out in ground yet. Baby them for one year in pots. But I did plant some this size last August in ground. They survived and are doing fine…

1 Like

If you’re trimming anyhow, what do you have to lose by sticking a few cuttings in some soil in a shady spot? (Some % usually takes root).

1 Like

Eventually we’ll get too many and do not want to bother saving those any longer…

If your collection of whatever you grow is of great demand, you can give some to a friend, a forum friend, somebody that want to trade. In the last 6 years or so, I have send out a bunch of stuff out, I also got stuff back. Having family, forum friends in different part of the States, it has been a riot. One guy give me about 50 or more avocado bud wood, all I ask was a couple of sticks. This person just came back from the Rare fruit convention in California. Same way with mango,s and what not. This is what forums make things so interesting. All ways think about the other person. My yard is already chuck full of stuff. If I get an abundance of fruits during the course of the year, I can always rely on these guys.
They usely help themselves. My fruit trees are mostly tall, that’s what pi… these guys of.

3 Likes

They definitely look well fed……. :flushed:

I’m guessing they are the same ones that ate my peach leaves……. :grimacing:

Today when I fetch soil to repot my fig plants, I saw some fig shoots coming out of the potting soil mix. I dug up and saw two pieces of fig clipping buried inside the large pot when friend dug up the plants from his yard. Both grow nice roots.

This is exactly 4 weeks and cuttings like the moisture and the heat on paved surface. Maybe I should try this way to root fig cuttings.

3 Likes