Can white appricots be grown in Virginia 7A zone?

I’m near Richmond, and the frosts aren’t very suitable. My Tomcot tends to flower really, really early. Before polinators are awake, well before the frosts are done. It bloomed in Feb this year, and mid March the 2 years before. The Sunday frost probably killed all my set fruit this year. You also have to fight curc and probably OFM or apple maggot, I’m not sure which was the actual problem last year.

On the other hand Tomcot has been bulletproof when it comes to leaf diseases so far.

1 Like

You mean on other topics about cots? The only one I have experience with is Sugar Pearls and it is as precocious as any variety I’ve ever grown.

1 Like

Hi ! This is strange ! I only bought 2 plants one appricot Monique and one grape Lady fingers. This Lady finger thing seems strange as in picture fruit looks like Husaini grapes. I have no knowledge though.

Hi !
Here I had Black Rot on grape Himrod ruining all of them. Immunox controlled it but taste was not good. Can you please suggest some fungicide for Brown Rot and Black Rot ?

I’m using captan at the moment for brown rot. There are better ones, but the cost is pretty high. If you search the forum there are extensive talks about different sprays.

Thanks

There is something to be said for systemic fungicides. I use Indar but the material in Bonide Infuse should be almost as affective. Weird thing is that the label in this packaging doesn’t include peach brown rot, but does include other peach diseases, so it’s OK on edibles and technically legal on peaches as long as you don’t say you are targeting brown rot.

@alan → Infuse is labeled for use on plums, but it says not to use on “Stanley-type” plums. I’m not sure if they mean all euro plums, just blue euro plums, or just Stanley in particular. And I’m not sure what the reason is. Do you have any insight on this issue?

1 Like

I think they are worried about scarring the skin in commercial production. Personally I wouldn’t worry too much about it if you aren’t a commercial sprayer… homeowners can’t be expected to know the varieties of fruit they are spraying.

1 Like

Hi !
Is Sugar Pearl appricot same as Shaakar pare apricot ?

1 Like

Nope. Sugar Pearls was bred using Afghani white apricots in the mix but the work was done in the Rutgers program to come up with varieties that could do well in the east.

1 Like

Thanks. Can you please send a link to the Rutgers for this program. I could not find it.

1 Like

That may be so, but Wenatchee Moorpark has done great on the east coast.

Thanks

1. Sugar Pearls apricot was developed and patented by Rutgers, NJ. Also flat peach Wonderful is their product and I planted it in this March.
  2. As you are very experienced person can you tell anything about Shakerpareh apricot ?

You should click the link and check this out. Scott has all those hard to find white apricots and he lives in MD.

Where? Usually it is varieties out of the Canadian program or Rutgers that are recommended here for commercial growers, I believe.

I’ve never read a rec for that one coming from sources of info for commercial growers. Survival is one thing and productivity is another. Please let me know more of what you know about the variety.

Look through my list that Robert posted… I have grown many white apricots in Maryland. Nearly all do not pollinate well so are not worth growing. Sugar Pearls was the only exception and compared to the other white cots I found it lacking in flavor.

Here for example is Lasgerdi Mashaad:

Looking at all those blooms you think there would be a huge crop but I have never had more than half a dozen fruits. It will get topworked this spring if it does not set.

Shekar Pareh is a plumcot, it sets very well but is on the sour side.

I’m not sure the two moorparks are related. The wenatchee was bred for Seattle wet weather which works well for the east coast. I’ve had it for a while now and it has done great.