Can you actually grow Pakistan mulberry in a container?

I have read conflicting information on if a mulberry can be growing in containers. I read on some website in zones 7 and colder you can grow Pakistan mulberry in containers and bring them in the garage for winter. I am curious the size of pot required for this and if it would actually work though.

yes if you are in zone 7 i would recommend growing pakistan mulberry in a large pot indoors in winter. im in zone 8B and mines are outside in winter, pakistan is not as hardy as other mulberries and should be protected in winter in your area.

2 Likes

How big of a container is considered minimum?

Also I am technically zone 5 but am sure the same principles apply?

1 Like

yes if u ever left it outside winter it will never come back in spring. i probably recommend 20 gal or larger i made a video hope you find it helpful!

1 Like
5 Likes

I am in Z5 and had these Pakistan mulberries for about 6 years now. They are large , sweet and very productive. IMO. They are much better than Girardi. Oscar, IE, or Kokuso.

Tony

2 Likes

Tony.
Is it in a 15 or 20 gallon pot?

1 Like

Yes. Covered with grass clippings to conserve water. They are very thirsty and needed water on a daily basis.

2 Likes

Are the black and purple ones the same or different? I got the black ones from Trees Of Antiquity. Do mulch them for moisture than. Do you need to root prune them or just let them grow to maximum potential.

Also would you say in a garage would work the same as your tornado shelter?

I called mine purple Pakistan mulberry because the berries never turned black and just light purple. Mulched them well. I haven’t prune the roots in 6 years. Yes , the garage is fine .

2 Likes

Pakistan mulberries are about ready to.be pick.

5 Likes

Just picked some Pak mulberry. They are so large and good. Sweet treat.

White Pak are great also. Sweetttt.

3 Likes