Can you ID this plant/shrub?

Spotted this growing roadside not far from my home.

From a distance I could tell it was not one of our common spring blooming (white blossom) trees or shrubs.

Thought it might be a wild plum.

Stopped today to get a close look at it and … definitely not a plum… not a dogwood, not sarvis (serviceberry).

See pics below.

For reference it is around 4 ft tall 3 ft wide.
Multiple woody stems that are somewhat separated at the base. Seems to be growing in a cluster possibly instead of all those stems comming off one common crown.

This is not common in my County… dont think I have ever seen this before.

Anyone know what this is ?

I might try transplanting some of it next winter for the showey blossoms alone. Edible fruit ?

Thanks
TNHunter

1 Like

Flowers look similar to Bridal Wreath spiraea.

2 Likes

Per flora Incognita app (which I like and is free)

Saying @Amelanchier is correct with 91% confidence on one pic and 98% confidence on another

1 Like

Bridalwreath Spirea was my first thought… though I don’t recall my mom’s ever being quite that floriferous… but it may have suffered the effects of not enough direct sun.

Interesting… never heard of that.

Looks like it produces no edible fruit.

It can be propigated by rooting cuttings or you can dig and divide.

I wonder how this one got started on the side of a county highway.

It is pretty for sure… and out in a full sun location would be quite a show.

I may mark the location and try digging up part of it this next winter to transplant into my field.

Thanks

3 Likes
1 Like

bet at least the bees will like it.

1 Like

It looks like pearly everlasting, but it’s not a woody plant.

1 Like

Is it fragrant? What zone is it located in? Overall dimensions? Is it on the woody stems we see or is it growing amongst them?

@Barb … it is around 4 ft tall x 3 ft wide .

The blossoms are on woody stems that have a slick looking bark that reminds me of a young beech tree. Mottled tones of Grey.

There is a fragrance… which is mild but pleasant.

It is just now starting to put on some leaves… so it bloomed first… then leaves come on.

I am in zone 7b now.

Thank you; that’s all very helpful…but then, I have no idea! Maybe your local extension office could help if you don’t get it here.

Hey TN, Am pretty sure this is a cultivar of spirea…commonly called “shirt button bush” due to the tiny white blossoms resembling buttons. Around this section of Georgia its an old heirloom shrub often still growing at old homesites. May remain long after the house has rotted away and could go feral. I have it in my yard transplanted from my great-grandmothers garden. Its quite well behaved. I suggest you transplant a sucker…which are numerous. Good growing! Randy/GA

3 Likes