Can you make cranberry sauce out of Ukrainian Cranberry bushes

I kind of think I read somewhere you can’t but I wonder why you can’t or if you can. If you can anyone have any recipes?

I wouldn’t want to eat anything made out of the bushes but maybe the fruit :slight_smile:

3 Likes

What are Ukrainian cranberry bushes? Vaccinium oxycoccus? Something non-Vaccinium?

1 Like

They are called “highbush cranberry” but they not Vaccinium, they are viburnum triloba.

1 Like

Mine is Viburnum opulus. I did look it up last night and it does look like you can use them in the same way. A recipe for it called for a lot more stuff online than my cook book for cranberry sauce but it appears it functions the same so I can’t imagine I would have to change things too much?

OK, right - doggone non-Latin names. I don’t think you could make something resembling the ‘cranberry jelly’ that American cranberry sauce seems closest to, but they make good jam, at least some spp.

The Ukrainians (and E Europeans in general) do this a lot - also compote, ‘kisel’, etc.

In Ukrainian Viburnum is called ‘kalina’.

See a thread I started a month or so back RE Viburnum edule (my favorite, I think the best admittedly haven’t tried many but this one is enough!).

1 Like

In Ukrainian it’s called “Kalyna” (калина) and it is considered to be one of the symbols of Ukraine.
It is an antioxidant, and good source of vitamins and minerals.
Here’s a link to a google-translated page of some recipes, hope it helps.

1 Like