Can you tell me about Kandil Sinap

Kandil Sinap is growing in Sandpoint, Id. at a test orchard for the University of Idaho. I sent the manager an email yesterday about getting some other scions I wanted. I had asked about them after I went to an apple tasting last fall.
Also there is a scion sale in Spokane this coming Saturday if it won’t be cancelled. I really wanted to try some more plums.
Anyone interested? I think it would be okay to list information.

1 Like

The HOS scion exchange is going via mail. They can probably send it to you. Just check out the website.

1 Like

I was one of the team teaching grafting for that fair. Cancelled as of today, sorry to report. I have the list of scions that were slated to be brought to it, which does not include Kandil Sinap.
Did you taste this apple in Idaho?

I have some Ersinger plum, if you want. A maiden bought on sale from Raintree last year, it needed some trimming anyway. It might bloom next year. I have never tasted this, which is described as having “exquisite…splendid…unforgettable…rich” flavor. Sure hope so.

BTW, I tried dormant bud grafting Mt. Royal to Marianna 2624 last spring. It took. Now in the fullness of time we may enjoy two plums ripening in August for fresh use, as well as jam, prunes and some years, wine. Mt. Royal is listed as SF, Ersinger as PSF.

1 Like

I did taste the Kandil Sinap and rated it a 5 in taste and 6 in texture. It was an OK apple, but I don’t know how well/cold they had stored the apples as many that I tasted were just OK. It is a really pretty apple. Some were awful, Niedzwetzkyana and Pink Sparkle looked to good and were soft and mealy. I really liked the Hubbardston Nonsuch, Alexander was good and of course Honey Crisp also. We got scions of Hubbardston and James Grieve last year from a lady from the Seattle area (at the fair) and my daughter has them growing on her tree. I didn’t do as well with my grafting, only Green Gage plum grew. Did better with 3 out of 4 tart cherry scions I got from another guy on the forum.

Have quite a few scions on my list for this year, I had contacted Mike earlier about a Luisa and he was going to save one for sure.

Hope to hear from the guy in Sandpoint soon about the apples there. If I can get the Kandil Sinap I would be glad to trade for your Ersinger plum, sounds good.

4 Likes

I got a scion of Kandil Sinap in '20, grafted it to Gen890, and today (March 31, 2023) replanted it out of the nursery patch. Will report how it fares, which may take some years.

1 Like

My Kandil Sinap graft is healthy, produces well, and the apples seem to come out relatively high quality. I love the shape, and that’s why I got it. But I haven’t had a single apple from the tree that I wanted to eat. I think okay may be overselling it a little bit. It is nearly flavorless. I guess there are no bad flavors either. But I plan to excise it and graft something else in its place.

I now have my strange shape hopes on Api Etoille, which I plan to graft this spring.

2 Likes

I thought Kandil Sinap was pretty tasteless, but Api Etoille was very good.

2 Likes

My own Kandil Sinap graft has been a disappointment, too. I’m finally grafting over it this year, along with Black Oxford. Neither seemed well-suited to my climate, though most varieties seem to thrive here.

1 Like

This will be my 4th season with KS. Really amazing shaped fruit. Very upright growth habit. Blah taste.
Api Etoille has been very sharp and very small, also amazing shaped fruit.

2 Likes

I’ve had kindil Sinap a few times and found them bland and often mealy

1 Like

Curious, Murky, since it was Warren Manhart’s description in “Apples for the 21st Century,” that got me to try it. He lived in the Willamette Valley, probably not far from your home. He wrote he had trouble getting enough sugar in his. Since attaining sweetness is rarely a problem in Spokane, I am hopeful KS will reveal something special (like Lady grown in eastern WA and kept until the New Year offering almond in its flavor profile).
Wonder how like the Crimea my conditions are?

1 Like

I tasted Kandil Sinap before growing it. At one of the Home Orchard Society’s All About Fruit Shows there was a speaker who highlighted it. I enjoyed those, if not blown away by them. They must have been much better than the ones I’ve gotten from my place.

Please don’t let my comments discourage you, and let us know how they turn out. If they are good, I’d like to taste yours.

1 Like

In re-reading Manhart’s comments about Kandil Sinap, he said each fruit required 30 (!) leaves per fruit to do well. The leaves are small. That indicates to me stringent thinning. I wonder how many others have done that with better result? When that happy day comes, I will try that; perhaps reducing the number of leaves to be effective over succeeding years since Spokane is so very sunny in summer.

A trip downstream to swap fruit & stories? Sounds like a plan!

(BTW, this year I will get debut fruits from Maiden Blush and Twenty Ounce/Blessing, besides a full crop of Gold Rush. By the time KS comes into bearing, Claygate, Lamb Abbey and Shackleford should bear, also. There might be a couple more, which will remain nameless at this time.)

2 Likes

My Kandil Sinap was definitely in need of thinning, never properly thinned.

First time I’ve heard the trip referred to as downstream. I like it, sounds good - although with the lack of proper care, my fall fruits aren’t pretty :slight_smile:

How much color do your Goldrush get? Mine are usually in a green/yellow stage by the end of the season, never orange/red blush and seldom yellow background color.

My apples are just blooming, so I don’t know which will set yet. I just decapitated my Kandil Sinap and replaced with Sweet 16.

1 Like

Someday I will collar a child or grandchild to show me how to post photos in this forum. In the meantime, GoldRush colors nicely here: light to deep gold with some blush where they get sufficient light. That would be maybe half of them since my tree has very open structure, practically no shaded branching yet. Ate one last Tuesday, holding at 16 Brix, still spicy, juicy and surprisingly hard; kept in a lightly tied plastic bag in the 'fridge; none of them large.
I put Kandil Sinap to Gen890, so it will be a modest sized tree (the English would call it a bush) someday. I gave it a dose of fungal inoculant at planting, hoping that will kick-start root growth
I live at 2032 feet altitude in the Spokane River drainage, which flows into the Columbia, hence the reference to downstream. Your fruit probably looks fine. My yard was typified by a relative as looking like a barnyard - neat it ain’t. I like having bumblebees nesting behind one of the black currants or amidst the raspberries (we were very careful where we stepped the month we picked raspberries that season).

2 Likes

Murky: You asked about Goldrush coloring. This was its first crop last year (2022). Those that were stored turned golden within 6 weeks, kept firmness in plastic bags tied loosely in the fridge & sweetened to 16 Brix by February through May.
This year’s crop are larger & are still covered with orchard sox. I might uncover half of them this week to see if that makes any difference.

4 Likes

One thing I wish we knew more about is Apple nutrition, that would be another major reason to grow something. I bet this kind of apple, with very old heritage, has some health benefits others don’t. The Liberty apple is always discussed as disease resistant, but I don’t hear anyone mention that its one of the top 2-3 healthiest apples there is! Monty’s surprise apple is suppose to be #1 - fun facts!

1 Like

Apples and oranges…not your most nutritious fruits. But eating red or orange peelings or even red flesh imcreases the values.

You don’t hear apple vendors bragging on nutrition. Instead you have blueberries, acai berries, honeyberries, goji berries, currants, etc, etc, being compared to apples…(and they are all
winners in comparison).
Yet, eating apples is far better than eating potato chips and gumdrops!

2 Likes

I see I mentioned adding fungal inoculant to the roots in re-planting Kandil Sinap this last March. By the end of June the leaves on mine were normal sized apple leaves. Now that they have dropped I find the whip grew 25 1/2 inches to an overall height of 57 1/2 inches. First year growth is very upright and willowy. To recapitulate: I grafted Kandil Sinap to Gen890 in '20, on which it grew 30 inches in two years before planting in what I hope to be its permanent place.

From this rather early observation, I wonder if Warren Manhart might have had greater success with KS if he could have added fungal inoculant to the roots of his trees.

Blueberry: you are right about diminished nutrition in standard supermarket fare when it comes to apples & oranges. This is one of the reasons I wished to grow my own if at all possible, It also fueled my interest in heirloom fruit. As a result Kandil Sinap may be the most exotic in this little collection. Am grateful for Maiden Blush, Lamb Abbey & Claygate, which have provided good eating already, as well as Redfield & Gold Rush, which aren’t exotic or heirlooms. (And yes, two older Europlums: Ersinger & Kirke, plus raspberries & black currants grown in this yard contribute to the whole benefit.)

2 Likes

Liberty came out in one of the research studies as the #1 apple for antioxidants. Except for that one, I generally agree with you.
John S
PDX OR

1 Like