Canna Lilly as food

Found this article:
The nutritional composition of the leaf, rhizome and seed of Canna indica L. were examined. The nutritional composition of C. indica plant showed that the rhizome of C. indica contains 50.66% moisture, 4.17% carbohydrate, 4.81% protein, 2.85% ash, 4.35% lipid and 33.16% fibre. The leaf on the other hand, contains 87.54% moisture, 2.19% carbohydrate, 4.59% protein, 3.40% ash, 1.08% lipid and 1.18% fibre. The seed contains 13.95% moisture, 41.15% carbohydrate, 11.60% protein, 1.90% ash, 7.50% lipid and 23.90% fibre. However, the protein, carbohydrate, lipid and fibre content of the seed were high when compared to the rhizome and the leaf of C. indica while the leaf had more moisture and ash content. This study shows that C. indica has a high nutritional content which differs among the leaf, seed and rhizome. The seed had more nutritional value than the rhizome and the leaf of Canna indica.

4 Likes

Medium size. Some are twice as large.

Peeled

3 Likes

@danzeb

How did it taste?

1 Like

Never eat them. This is interesting. I have a lot that I left them frozen in ground because I have no place to store them.

1 Like

I but a foot of leaves on top of some of them to protect them from the winter freeze. It didn’t work. They where dead and rotted in the spring. I dig them and store them in a paper bag in the unheated garage in the winter. Temps stay above 40F.

1 Like

Here’s one I put in the microwave for a few minutes to cook with no spices. Its a mild potato and nutty flavor. I ate half of it and will wait to make sure I don’t have a reaction. Better than Jerusalem Artichokes. Now I need a recipe. I’ll cook a few for Christmas dinner.
The ones I have have are the tall ones that grow 7 to 8 ft.

4 Likes

@danzeb

Had no idea they are edible. Im wondering if that is not how many things like elephant ears or day lillies got here.

The are many Canna species. The one most mentioned as edible is Canna indica. I think and hope that is the one I have.

2 Likes

@danzeb

The same is true of the other things i mentioned above and bamboo etc…Life would be much better if we had more knowledge.

I should have made it clearer. I saved some rhizomes every year. Since they multiply fast, I have had more than I can store so I left some in ground. They were all killed by our cold winter.

I cannot store them in my garage. Temp in my garage can go below freezing several times in the winter. I store them in my unfinished basement. It is in the 49’s there. By late March, they start to push buds.

I did not know they were edible. Look like they are grown as food in China since the 50’s. I don’t think I want to eat them yet.

2 Likes