Cardboard mulching

@moose71
Thanks! I tried putting cedar in the beds near the house. The hardwood mulches attracted termites. (GREAT!) :angry: And you are so right . . . cedar smells super.

1 Like

@IL847 Annie, I like that idea! Gonna try that.

Try cocoa hulls (chocolate) from Hershey’s … for mulch. :slight_smile: ps. There really is such a thing…I’ve used it.

I go through a lot of throw rugs, at my house. I tend to buy the ones with the rubber non-slip backing - and they are usually too large to successfully wash in the machine. I have little dogs, who never seem to be ‘pee-proof’ - even tho they have full-time access to a doggy door. So the rugs get a ‘work out’. Hosing them down only does so much. I usually ‘re-purpose’ 3 or 4 each year. Outdoor mats, by each door, as well.

When they have finally ‘had it’ - I take them out in the yard and use them as weed killers! Can’t leave them there for too long - because, as others have said - the ants and voles love to tunnel and nest under them. But - they do a good job - choking things out of small areas.

1 Like

Case study. Some leftover, undecomposed cardboard was still in the garden. We had been dry, to the point of moderate drought until this past Wednesday. We got about 0.5” of rain from 8/26 to 10/16.

Since then, we have had 2.6” of rain. It was still bone dry under the cardboard, despite the soil (loam) now being moist as far down as my shovel could go, just past the edge of the cardboard.

3 Likes