Care of newly grafted peach trees

Hello! This year i recently grafted 15 peach trees using scion wood from the 3 peach trees that were here when we bought our home. Unknown varieties of the best peaches I’ve ever had.

I have 5 grafted trees of each variety, some in krymsk1 some in Lovell root stock. About a week out and they are in a nursery bed on my back porch.

Some flower buds are breaking pink. Others seem to be pushing out leaves. I’m hoping that’s a good sign.

How long do I keep them in the shade?

New to this and already hooked!

Lisa

Hi Lisa,
I see you did not use parafilm to seal the scions and buds from desiccation, so I assume that you are misting them while they are callousing. Some people also cover the whole scion and graft union with a clear plastic bag, is that what you did? You might elaborate on your process so members can better advise, for now I usually do not expose them to direct sunlight until the buds have grown several leaves and it’s clear that the scion is taking. So protect them from desiccation for a minimum of 3 weeks until we better understand your process.
Good luck
Dennis
Kent, wa

3 Likes

Thank for your reply, Dennis. I am a total newby at this, so I’m sure I did things wrong!

I used a glorified pruning hole punch to create the u-shaped graft.

I slotted the exposed cambium of the scion with the exposed cambium of the root stock. Then i tightly wrapped grafting tape around the graft including below and above it. I covered the top of the scion as well.

Then I planted them in a planting box right outside my kitchen door under a porch overhang.

I didnt realize i needed to wrap the whole little tree! I can definitely make a little greenhouse with plastic if that’s recommended. Or I can mist daily.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Are peach really that much more fragile than apples? For apples half the time I don’t wrap anything but the graft.

1 Like

For me peaches are the most difficult to successfully graft. As DennisD said keep them protected for a few weeks or longer until you are sure the graft was a success. Remove any flowers that form.

1 Like

Oh, i didn’t know about removing any flowers. But it makes sense. A tree this tiny wouldnt be able to support fruit!

Thanks!

Lisa

Lisa,
Where do you keep those grafted trees. In my experience peach grafting needs quite warm weather to callous well.

I don’t graft peach until temperature is in high 60’s or low 70 for at least 3 days in a row. To me, getting peach grafts to take can be challenging in cool weather. Not as easy as grafting apples, pears or plums.

1 Like

They are right outside the kitchen door under a porch overhang. I’ll let you know how they do. This is my first solo attempt - i did a workshop 2 years ago where we grafted with a teacher, but I only did 3 and they didn’t take.

I wish I had found this forum before i did the grafting!

Lisa

In my experience this temp we are having is too cold for peach to callous well. Consistent high temp is when I have had good success with peach and nectarine grafting (they are cousins).

1 Like