Carmine Jewell Cherry Yields increasing with age

This was written below that video. It must be from Honeyberry USA.

honeyberryusa

378 subscribers

SUBSCRIBE

Pitting Carmine Jewel Tart Cherries at Prairie Cherry Pit at Vanscoy, SK. For more info see www.honeyberryusa.com

Category

Howto & Style

SHOW LESS

1 Like

yep. the tsm cherry pitter is it.

2 Likes

I don’t know, for 18.71, that Norpro one looks pretty nice. I bought two cheaper pitters last year, and I wish I would have gotten the Norpro. I’m going to buy that now and try it out this year. Although I did not try freezing the cherries first. That might help with the other pitters I have.

3 Likes

My Juliet blooming beautiful, hopefully fruiting well this year. And Romeo Cherry is not even blooming yet. They’re not suitable for pollinating each other.

10 Likes

We have about 30 Carmine Jewels in with a small flock of chickens (I think there are like 19 hens and 3 roosters). They are starting to bloom. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

You are going to be very busy this year with 30 of them!

3 Likes

I use these cherries in the jam that I make to sale. We run a small farm. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Those 30 bushes will make your small farm a large farm! Have you considered using a mehu lisa steamer or something like it https://www.amazon.com/Mehu-Liisa-Stainless-Steel-Juicer-Steamer/dp/B000SSU6V2 and making jelly instead of jam? It sure would be easier on you! Thats what i do with most fruit thats difficult to pit or work with. The juice is extremely hot and go straight into the jelly pot.

3 Likes

Clark,
Will Carmine Jewel make a decent fruit leather or will it be too tart?bb

1 Like

I have three of those. :slight_smile: I make jellies, jams and butters.

3 Likes

@Bradybb
They are pretty tart i would maybe make an apple cherry fruit leather to balancd them. This is my juicer and as many of you know for seeded grapes or small pitted cherries they are the best thing ever invented.
@FarmGirl-Z6A excellent im glad to hear your doing it the easier way! Its to much work the other way!

4 Likes

Can the fruit be shaken from the bush, or do they have to be picked?

1 Like

You can use a fruit shaker on anything if you let them get ripe enough but noone i know of has ever done it because of their small size. More than likely a pull behind berry picker would be the way every big farm would go. An overhead oxbo 7420 or something like this is very common

If anyone is not familiar with what @nil is talking about in reference to shakers they are very common equipment in utah orchards (among others) for montmorency and other orchard cherries

https://youtu.be/ykGuOIMGbLI

1 Like

You could mix in mulberries which are usually lower acid, or black raspberries if you can remove the seeds. Or just add more sugar. Blueberries would be another way to sweeten them up a bit. Apple and cherry though sound appealing. Other fruits like plums or peaches could be added too. I usually make mixes with leather or jam. Gooseberries, particularly Black Velvet makes excellent fruit leather.

3 Likes

I agree. Here are the kind that I use:

My favorite use for the steam juicer is for apples. I like to juice them to make jelly or I can peaches in the apple juice (this is SO good). Then I run the apples through my food mill (I have a couple similar to this) and then I either can it up as apple sauce or I put the sauce in crock pots, add sugar and let it cook 4-6 hours to make apple butter. Easiest and quickest way to process this amount of apples:

That’s 13 bushel ordered in from another farm. We aren’t producing that many yet, but I’m hoping that it won’t be long before we are. Who knows, maybe even this summer. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

@FarmGirl-Z6A
Nice operation it looks great!

2 Likes

Are they all the same brand? I’m just wondering if you can do a comparison of them to see what which one you like best. I’m wondering if the half priced ones are as good as the one Clark posted. I see the really cheap ones have an aluminum juice tray which I don’t care for.

1 Like

Yes, the ones that I have are all the same brand. I think they might be Norpro brand (I can’t really remember and it has no markings, I just checked). I don’t deal with aluminum cooking appliances (with the exception of my canners that I use for canning), so the ones I have are stainless steel. And you can’t tell in the picture, but the lid is glass. I like that I can see the fruit cooking down.

5 Likes

i have a similar one i got 5 yrs ago. think its a little smaller but works great. once i get enough currants i plan to juice a lot of them as well as the cherries from my 7 U of SASK bushes. hopefully my CJ and Juliet give some up this year as well as my nankings.

3 Likes

That’s the brand I have. I really like it. Love it for chokecherries! I hated processing chokecherries until I got the steam juicer. Like you, I also juice apples, then process them for sauce. Sometimes I do tomatoes the same way.

2 Likes