Carmine Jewell Cherry Yields increasing with age

just extra protein. :wink:

1 Like

$5.99 on amazon for 6 of them.

True, it’s just a few worms, but it’s a mental thing. I don’t enjoy my broccoli as much when I have to pick cabbage looper larvae out and wonder if I missed any. And my wife and children have even less tolerance than me. I want them to enjoy their cherry pie!

1 Like

Guh what don’t PC go after. I’m loosing the battle again this year. May have to start using pesticides again…

1 Like

you could sharpen the end of that straw to make it even easier to insert I bet, using a dremel and a grinding stone.

2 Likes

i hear ya! my wife would freak out if she found a grub in there but then again she doesnt care for cherries. a grub that eats cherries is just going to taste like them. :wink: the way we have so many pests nowadays its going to be rare to get perfect fruit even if you spray so ive resolved myself that grubs are going to get in there and im ok with that as long as they dont completely destroy the crop. ill still try to be as diligent with spraying as i can though.

3 Likes

thats what in going to do.

1 Like

@steveb4

Carmine jewell ripen in June here before the worm grows in the cherry in my zone.

2 Likes

i noticed a few worms in my consort b. currant for the 1st time last summer but theyripen a month after sour cherry so hopefully they dont get affected. they are only 20ft apart. ive been trying to get more hummingbirds in the yard and this year ive seen many of them feeding on my blooming honeyberries and cherries so im hoping they put a hurting on the flies as well.

Yes, I mix sevin and immunox often.

1 Like

just did this a couple days ago and so far everything looks fine.

1 Like

This year i’m trimming out some brush , dead cherry limbs , weed trees etc. growing up in the patch. After 10+ years or so these cherries have been in the ground it is much better dirt. Nearly any type of brush or tree readily grows in the patch now.

1 Like

Clark how big did your bushes max out at? seems i seen something not long ago about some of honeyberry usas 1st bushes topping 20ft. seems your harsher environment would keep your bushes shorter but in mine a bigger bush survives the cold better. i know montys are known to get to 20ft. but i wasnt expecting the romance ones to get that big. gonna get real tight in the food forest if that’s the case. i asked Bernis some years ago if they fertilized and she said they didn’t. imagine all that did. so much for them being bush cherries. guess you could always prune to keep the size in check.

1 Like

@steveb4

None of them grew over 12 feet but others maxed out at 8-10 feet. The soil here dwarfs everything because it is heavy clay.

1 Like

Removed a few carmine jewell this year to allow newer small ones to pop up in better locations. Cleared out the small cherries on the back side so i could get behind them again. They were getting out of control. My grapes were mostly choked out. There is a row of pears on the other side of the grapes. The american plum row encroached on my pears so they will also need controlled with the chainsaw.

7 Likes

Lots of green cherries this year. Looking good!

4 Likes

My opinion is after 7-12 years most people will remove a few bushes here and there as they age. Let some of the suckers fill in the gaps. I have removed 2 or 3 cherries that were not as vigorous as they used to be. They suckered plenty so i’m not out anything. Cherry leaf spot is the only real problem we have with these.

2 Likes

It was a good year for cherries form me. Of Carmine Jewel I put six full quart ziplock bags in the freezer. The same with Juliet and three quarts of Monty.

1 Like

5 Likes

image These are from what was in the bucket and the box. They are going into the fridge so I can pit them the next day along with the colander full of cherries. They were washed and set in these casserole dishes with towels to absorb the water and to help them fit into the fridge.

7 Likes